Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Floating Plant Suggestion (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/floating-plant-suggestion-91654/)

Geomancer 01-26-2012 12:25 PM

Floating Plant Suggestion
 
Good afternoon all, I could use a good recommendation for a floating plant, or if you think I even should have one.

I have a 20g tall, with a basic 14W T8 light, so low light.

In the tank I have Amazon Sword, Wisteria, Java Fern, and Anubias Nana.

I know the Wisteria needs all the light it can get, so if I get something floating I'll need to contain it to one side of the tank, and since a 20g isn't very large there isn't a lot of surface area. (assuming the Wisteria lasts, I don't know if I'll keep it. If long term it grows up to the top with few leaves and bare stems I may get ride of it)

The usual suspects I guess would be Duckweed, Water Sprite, or Brazilian Pennywort. Reading another recent thread that mentioned Java Moss, I read the profile and saw it can be left floating... how well does that work? I was thinking about it, but for my driftwood. It has the Anubias Nana on it though, could they co-exist or would the Java Moss try and take over?

Byron 01-26-2012 12:42 PM

You are right to consider floating plants as decreasing your already limited light. I would go with Brazilian Pennywort in this situation, and it grows in strands and can be spread out and controlled better than something like Water Sprite, a single plant of which would easily cover the entire surface if allowed to. Duckweed would be good if controlled, as it would probably move around.

I'll be interested to know how the Wisteria does; off the top i would not expect it to last. Mine wouldn't in my 30-inch 29g nor in the 70g with two tubes full length. But that's fine; some plants do well in this tank or that tank, others don't. I've tried many and stick with what does. Fewer species is also better biologically, as some plants do inhibit others and the more there are of different species the more likely one will be like this.

Byron.

redchigh 01-26-2012 03:49 PM

riccia is also a good option for floating. it doesn't block out much light.

Geomancer 01-26-2012 08:05 PM

I've actually noticed something with my Wisteria. The three on the left side are doing pretty good, one in particular is showing excellent growth. The three on the right side are not doing well.

Two factors possibly, the HOB filter is on the right so there is more current. The left gets ~1 hour of sunlight very late in the afternoon right before the sun falls below the horizon. I'm thinking the brief sunlight is what's doing it, more than the filter being detrimental. Hopefully that little extra light doesn't mean algae in my future ;)

lorax84 01-26-2012 08:24 PM

I have riccia in one of my tanks. I tend to stay pretty spread out most of the time.

Byron 01-26-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 964309)
I've actually noticed something with my Wisteria. The three on the left side are doing pretty good, one in particular is showing excellent growth. The three on the right side are not doing well.

Two factors possibly, the HOB filter is on the right so there is more current. The left gets ~1 hour of sunlight very late in the afternoon right before the sun falls below the horizon. I'm thinking the brief sunlight is what's doing it, more than the filter being detrimental. Hopefully that little extra light doesn't mean algae in my future ;)

Sunlight for an hour is probably of more benefit to this plant. However, there is something to be said for the detrimental effect of too much water movement.

I have three Echinodorus cordifolius in my 115g, and one is in the direct force of the filter. When I set the tank up I thought this would not likely matter, and the flow at that end is deliberate for the trio of spotted driftwood catfish that live in the wood onto which the flow is directed. The sword in that spot has been sending out new leaves like the others, but they quickly yellow and fail. Yesterday I moved this plant to the opposite end of the tank. I am expecting it to improve now that it is out of the water flow.

Wisteria is a marsh plant, and one is not likely to encounter much water flow in a marsh.;-)

Geomancer 01-27-2012 06:13 AM

Interesting, that leads into the question of what IS a good plant for a stream?

I don't think the current is too bad in my tank, I keep it rather full, slightly above the HOB's output ramp (or whatever that would be called). It keeps the surface calm at least.

Byron 01-27-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 964718)
Interesting, that leads into the question of what IS a good plant for a stream?

I don't think the current is too bad in my tank, I keep it rather full, slightly above the HOB's output ramp (or whatever that would be called). It keeps the surface calm at least.

Java Fern works under the filter, as noted in our profile. The added benefit is that it will attach to wood or rock and can be placed so as to hide the filter stem as well as the wood/rock serving to lessen the flow of water a bit.

ZeeZ 01-27-2012 12:19 PM

How about frogbit or water lettuce? I have water lettuce in my 40g and I love the effect they give to the tank. Plus they're good with competing against algae for nutrients.

kangy 01-27-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 963844)
I'll be interested to know how the Wisteria does; off the top i would not expect it to last. Mine wouldn't in my 30-inch 29g nor in the 70g with two tubes full length. But that's fine; some plants do well in this tank or that tank, others don't. I've tried many and stick with what does. Fewer species is also better biologically, as some plants do inhibit others and the more there are of different species the more likely one will be like this.

My Wisteria floating in the 29g with a single 8000k 24" tube is doing so-so. It's growing but very slowly. In my 10g with two 10w Daylight CFL it is like a weed. It started as a small sprig and in a few weeks it's easily covering 1/3 of the surface.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2