Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   cycling (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cycling-91578/)

Libra 01-25-2012 03:08 PM

cycling
 
I am new to forum. In Libra. Have existing 55 gallon acrylic aquarium, its 10 years old, has hob emperor 280 & UG filter. Existing inhabitants 3 chinese algae eaters and 2 snails, 3 java ferns, 2 amazon swords, multiple shortgrasses, plants have beens there 3 months, Have new inhabitants, 1 month to 6 weeks now, 3 calico ryukins of medium size, their eating habits is such they require a variety of foods for optimal health, a large single pleco inhabited this tank for 10 years, inherited from family member, he passed away 4 months ago, his eating habits were such that he ate 3 x a week pretty good, and the very same aquarium remained clean with regular maintenance, I.e. water changes, siphoning 1x a month, rinsing out filter cartridges and feeding 3 x weekly kept everything in check. The Ryukins require a variety of foods to remain in optimal health, The emperor 280 gph which also had the 5 " bio wheel with spray bar and 2 rite size e filter cartridges, was not handling their needs, i do twice a month water changes, 10-20%, siphon 1x a month, water got cloudy about 10 days ago. 4 days ago I added an addition filtration unit. I selected the rena xp2 canister filter as an added filtration unit that will be able and better equipped and versatility to handle their needs. The rena contains 2 baskets, Bottom, bio balls , filstar bio chem sorb, top basket, 1 each filtration 30, 20 ppi filter pads, 2 filstar microfiltration pads. my question finally, is how long will cycling the new canister filter take, as I know this cycling and bloom period cans be stressful, even for fancy goldfish varieties. Im hoping it will not take long as the hob is an old and established filter, I'm hoping seeding this new canister along with minimal feeding will cause minimal stress and in the long run, a healthier and better suited environment for my new inhabitants. Replies are all welcome and greatly appreciated. I know this is long, I wanted to give as thorough and as completed picture of my tank and its most delightful inhabitants. When I accidentally drop something inside their tank, or add a little plant, I can feel them suckling on my arm, when I feed, I do it with little tiny in pieces pinched between fingertips food directly to each fish, they practically take it from my fingers. Thank you. Libra 25Jan12 @ 1:10pm.
Posted via Mobile Device

ladayen 01-25-2012 04:46 PM

It could take a while, a month perhaps before the new filter is fully established. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. As it seems like you still have your old filter running it really shouldn't be an issue.

My other concern though is that your chinese algae eaters may kill your goldfish. They are known to suck off the protective slime coating of fish leaving them open to infection and disease, occasionally they will even pull scales off.

Rozo 01-25-2012 04:49 PM

Are you running the HOB still?

2 weeks to a month to cycle.

How often do you feed now?

I would say at least 2 time daily small amounts.

Does the food you feed have dye in it?

You do 10-20% changes every 2 weeks and siphon once a month correct?

I would do a weekly change 20-25% till the tank stabilized .

Libra 01-25-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladayen (Post 963080)
It could take a while, a month perhaps before the new filter is fully established. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. As it seems like you still have your old filter running it really shouldn't be an issue.

My other concern though is that your chinese algae eaters may kill your goldfish. They are known to suck off the protective slime coating of fish leaving them open to infection and disease, occasionally they will even pull scales off.

The thing about algae eaters, I was unaware, that information, very helpful. Yes the hob continues to run, and will as I want back up in either possible event of malfunction of any sort. Today removing Chinese algae eaters to a little established 5 gal planted aquarium with sumbersible duetto filter. I did notice algae eaters hovering around one of them, it did not occur to me. The snails will need to tidy up. Is there another fish remove algae without bother to my Ryukins, Fifi, freckles & fanny? If not. I will use a simple algae plastic scraper. Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device

ladayen 01-25-2012 05:13 PM

A smaller pleco such as a bristlenose may help, however there really isn't a true algae eating fish at all. Most only eat algae while young and only specific kinds at that. Manual removal is your best bet.

Libra 01-25-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rozo (Post 963082)
Are you running the HOB still?

2 weeks to a month to cycle.

How often do you feed now?

I would say at least 2 time daily small amounts.

Does the food you feed have dye in it?


You do 10-20% changes every 2 weeks and siphon once a month correct?

I would do a weekly change 20-25% till the tank stabilized .

Yes, hob still running, and , each day a different variety I feed either hikari frozen meals, which contains a multitude variety of foods in cube meals, soak in 1 oz of aquarium water, in baby food jar, I cut off a piece of 6" clear tubing attached it to end of syringe & draw food just into the tubing and feed each one individually, or all mouths together & I try to place it slowly, most are ingested, little falls to bottom, I feed once daily from the variety of foods listed here. The frozen is formulated for all freshwater fish, I.e., mysis, brine shrimp, daphnia, bloodworms, krill, spirulina, watercress, red leaf lettuce, or the new life spectrum, all purpose formula micro pellets, with a little hikari dry brine shrimp in little crumbles, or top fin, small freeze dried medley, pinched between finger till powder, as to avoid possible intestinal problem. It takes about < 5 minutes to hand feed, so very little falls to bottom. 2nd meal at night an hour before lights out 3-4. Hikari algae wafers for overnite nibbling. No dye in food. and will follow advice on 20-25% water change, and I do siphon 1x a month, and try best at not causing silt to float about and making it mucky, while protecting the beneficial biological bed, have a good old waterlogged piece of wood, had it years, will note it once I've identified it again, I place a little Java fern in a hole in it. Thank you. Your advice was very helpful. Will check parameters on water this Sunday. Will note, once checked. And I will do so weekly, I haven't done it yet, its been about 4 days now since new canister was added. Libra
Posted via Mobile Device

Libra 01-27-2012 03:04 AM

Will up-ping aquarihome water change by week. Frm 10-20% to 25-30%. Will the. Cyling take longer? Or does it benefit the biologicals, by giving them a breath of air. Or push it back a notch. HOB 280GPH, RUNNING FINE. New rena xp2. Running now 4-7 days. Cycling advice and water changing, are varying
Cycle from 2 wks to amonth, water 25-35% of 55 gallon. Will check watee parameters, what is best accurate test? 4 weekly, then Monthly. Then 20% bi-weekly water changes, I allow 10 gallons to sit a week or two, add the dechlorinator with aloe aids in protecting slime coat, reduce stress & removes heavy
Metals., chlorine to disssipate naturally.All else remains. All my best. Smiles. To tropicalfishkeeping
Posted via Mobile Device

Geomancer 01-27-2012 09:41 AM

If you use a water conditioner, there is no reason to let the water sit, the conditioner works almost immediately.

If you have algae problems, that's usually due to too much light. You should put your light on a timer (same kind of timer you can use for lamps in the house) and set it for no more than 8 or 10 hours. Overfeeding can also result in algae (too many nutrients in the water). Don't rely on fish to clean algae, as stated most only eat it as juveniles (like Pleco's) and even the ones that do will only eat specific kinds of algae.

For water changes, there is no reason to over complicate things with a varying schedule. Just do 25-50% water changes once a week, forever. The reason is to keep Nitrates low, no amount of filtering will do anything with nitrates, only sufficient quantities of live plants can do anything about that. Still, it's good to do weekly changes to get ride of the other contaminates (pheromones and such).

For water testing, most people recommend the API Master Test Kit ($25 on Amazon, $32-35 in stores). It is a liquid test, and is usually more accurate than test strips.

Libra 01-27-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 964817)
If you use a water conditioner, there is no reason to let the water sit, the conditioner works almost immediately.

If you have algae problems, that's usually due to too much light. You should put your light on a timer (same kind of timer you can use for lamps in the house) and set it for no more than 8 or 10 hours. Overfeeding can also result in algae (too many nutrients in the water). Don't rely on fish to clean algae, as stated most only eat it as juveniles (like Pleco's) and even the ones that do will only eat specific kinds of algae.

For water changes, there is no reason to over complicate things with a varying schedule. Just do 25-50% water changes once a week, forever. The reason is to keep Nitrates low, no amount of filtering will do anything with nitrates, only sufficient quantities of live plants can do anything about that. Still, it's good to do weekly changes to get ride of the other contaminates (pheromones and such).

For water testing, most people recommend the API Master Test Kit ($25 on Amazon, $32-35 in stores). It is a liquid test, and is usually more accurate than test strips.

Thanks for helpful advice. I didn't know about the dechlorinator, water conditioner. I tho.ught for the chlorine needed natural dissipation. I'll pick up
Master test kit, this weekend. PheromoneS thlats new to me, I was considerating the timer . So learned something on this forum. Thanks Geomancer
Posted via Mobile Device

Libra 01-27-2012 11:13 AM

Posted via Mobile Device


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2