Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   What kinds of fertalizers for these plants (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/what-kinds-fertalizers-these-plants-9147/)

ShawnMcc 11-02-2007 04:36 PM

What kinds of fertalizers for these plants

What do you think of these plants. What kind of fertalizers do I need right now I have CO2, all Flourish Trace elements , Potassium , nitrogen, phosphorus, Flourish Flourish. Iron to if I need it. Anything I am missing is this over kill?

Formerly known as Pellia (Monosolenium tenerum) 1 portion = 1oz
1 Anubias pynaerti - Emerald Heart
4 Bacopa myriophylloides
I have several Java Ferns growing right now and a Micro Sword
Dwarf Hairgrass, Anubias Nana, Anubias Barteri Round Leaf
Red Cryptocoryne

fish_4_all 11-02-2007 06:03 PM

Sounds like you have it covered. I would dose regularly and tweak anything you dose if you have any deficiencies show up.

The only other thing that might help would be some basic fert tabs for the crypts, micro sword and hairgrass as they seem to do better when using the tabs.

mgamer20o0 11-06-2007 02:08 AM

save your self the money and go with some dry ferts..... look up rex grigg.

Quote:

Why would you want to use bulk nutrients. Well here are some numbers.

If you are dosing 60gallons of water with Flourish Potassium you would need 100 ml to get to 20 ppm.

If you are dosing 60 gallons of water with Flourish Phosphorus you would need to dose 48 ml to get to 1 ppm.

If you are dosing 60 gallons of water with Flourish Nitrogen you would need to dose 30 ml to get to 10 ppm.

Flourish Potassium is $6 mail order for 500 ml. So if you dose once a week that bottle will last you 5 weeks. Cost would $1.25 a week to dose potassium.

Flourish Phosphorus is $7.50 mail order for 500 ml. So if you dose once a week that bottle would last you 10 weeks. Cost would be 75 a week to dose Phosphorus.

Seachem Nitrogen is $7.50 mail order for 500 ml. So if you dose once a week that bottle will last you 16 weeks. Cost would be 47 a week to dose nitrates.

Total cost for one dose a week with Seachem $~2.75. Note there is no shipping factored in here and there are some rounding errors.

To dose the same tank with bulk nutrients.

Nitrates 2 a dose.
Phosphates .2 a dose. Note that is 5 doses for a penny.
Potassium 4 a dose.

Total cost for one dose a week with dry nutrients 6.2

Seachem products cost 44X as much per week.

fish_4_all 11-06-2007 12:55 PM

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/st...cplantfood.php

Thats another place to get dry ferts. If you do decide to get dry ferts, make sure you get plenty of everything or ask here for about how much you need. Also, remember that when you dose dry ferts, a small error can make a HUGE difference. Initial shipping can be high unless the order is a larger one and getting refills is not as easy as going to the LFS like you can with Seachem products.

mgamer20o0 11-06-2007 04:39 PM

from what i seen its another place yes but stuff is the same price or often more. still has the same problem greg used to have with over charging with shipping......

fish_4_all 11-06-2007 06:37 PM

Like I said, you have the basics covered, if you decide to go dry to save some money then let us know and there are a few of us that can make sure you get what you need as far as dry ferts.

If you see any signs of deficienies make sure to get some root tabs under the microsword and the crypts and they should come around nicely.

ShawnMcc 11-08-2007 01:37 PM

thank you all for your help. I might try the dry fertilizers. I have the larger bottles of the seachem products that are still full. Once some of those run out I will pick up some of the dry stuff. More then worth the price.