Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Interesting sight on light requirements

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  beetlebz 
#1 ·
#4 ·
whether or not your light is LED, florescent, or some high tech digital holographic light beamer that doesnt exist yet, it still should have a color temperature, usually measured in kelvin. Is there a K number anywhere on the fixture or paperwork? it would likely be read in a 4 or 5 digit number like, 5500k or 10000k or similar.

Not to say that its all about color temperature, but its a good place to start :)

#5 ·

I found this at a thrift store, cheap! New in box, directions and every thing. Nothing in the directions about the light. The only thing I can find on the light, is it says 6volt. Frustrating. I'll probably put plants in and see what happens. It's a tetra brand- small 3 gallon tank.

Gwen

#6 ·
Is it an oval tank shaped tank that came with an internal filter? If so I have the same one, with the 8 LED clip light that has a flexible extension arm, kind of like a book light? I scoured the internet and could not find the light specs on this and also came up empty handed. I wanted to put a couple plants like an anubias and a java fern in there, what is the ambient light like in the room? I thought I would be ok as it's in a well light office and those are both low light plants but I chickened out and bought a CFL clip light. Still haven't set it up yet though, works busy and we have a baby due any day now. If you do plant it I'd love to hear about your results with that LED. You can see the tank I'm referencing in my profile.

#7 ·

Yes, that is the one! I just emailed Tetra, and they supposedly respond to your questions in 24 hours. I'll let you know. I also realize upon setting it up, that the clear acrylic cover that goes over the tank, has the area over the filter, basically snapped off. I also asked what the cost is for a new cover would be, or I'll just find a small piece of acrylic to lay over it, so the filter isn't getting dust etc, dropping into it. Can you clarify that their is actually a "cover" over the filter (it's not open to the air). Otherwise, nice little tank. I like it better than the 5 gal hex I have my RCS in. Better viewing!

Gwen

Gwen

#8 ·
I got mine second hand from someone "leaving the company" and he already had one side of the lid snapped off on the right hand side as that's where he had the filter. I glued it back on with a couple drops of krazy glue on the three tabs where it used to connect. I tried to get the filter to fit under the lid but wasn't able to unless I dropped it way down and then the water level was really low so I snapped off the left side to make room for the filter and rose it up a bit. It kind of hangs on the lip and drops through where the cover on the left used to be. I think with the tabs it is meant to snap off for the filter. They just made it removable so you could chose the side you wanted. I wouldn't worry too much about one side being gone, if your flexible just use that side for the filter. The back also has a rectangle with the same tabs, probably for a feeder or other accessory. You can see the way I have it setup in the profile photo, I also have a heater suctioned to the side of the filter. Honestly though I can't stand the filter it comes with the flow on it is way too much for that little tank, it blows the fish around alot. When I feed them I usually turn it off or the food gets pushed immediatly down to the bottom, it puts out a lot of water. I have a sponge filter for it, but just like the light, haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I figure with the sponge filter and a few plants I should be good to go. I'll probably glue the other side of the lid back on once I do that.

Please let me know what you hear from Tetra, I might return the other light I have if we can make this one work. I was only thinking a java fern and maybe an anubias on some drift wood in there.

#10 ·
Okay, thanks - that is helpful. I noticed the water flow does seem strong. I also have to worry about baby, tiny, tiny shrimp getting sucked up. I was thinking of taking a filter sponge, and anchoring it around the intake. I'm hoping that will decrease the water flow. I'll let you know what I hear - hopefully today.

Gwen

#12 ·
A quick side note about generic sponge filters...

Initially I used ALL air filters on everything but my 110g. my smaller tanks and breeding tanks had lee's air powered box filters, but I used a sponge filter on my 10g sword breeder, my 55g and my 20 long. The 10g filter never had an issue, and the nice hydro-sponge pro IV was flawless. The problem was the cheap smaller one I used on my 20 long. It had an integral diffuser at the base which eliminated the need for an air stone, however being a well stocked planted tank I was and am from time to time fighting diatom build up. The diatoms would collect in the diffuser and partially block the air flow, causing the air to bubble up from around the base. The only solution was to physically remove, disassemble, and clean the diffuser every 1 or 2 days! not even glue would stop the air leak!

it was a headache to say the least. If you arent going to get a hydro-sponge, I would recommend doing your homework on the specific one you wish to purchase to make sure it can be used with a traditional air stone, but thats just my $0.02 :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.