Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Male black molly swimming at top of tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/male-black-molly-swimming-top-tank-91271/)

jdiaz 01-22-2012 10:04 AM

Male black molly swimming at top of tank?

I got two black mollies yesterday one male one female and the male is just swimming at the top of the tank by the filter and heater. What is wrong? There is no way it is scared because there is just them a silver molly that is a female, also pregnant again, and a Chinese algae eater and none of the fish are bothering him. I fed them this morning and both of the females are doing just fine, except for that there fins are closed. what do closed fins mean? This has happened before with some platies but they died.

Tank specs:
Size is 29 gallons, filter is a penguin 150 biowheel, water temperature is 80-83, substrate is sand, plants are java moss and an anubia, silver molly fry are present in the tank that are about 1-2 weeks old.

Update, the silver molly follows both of the black and the male tries to get away. The male is bigger than both of the females.

GwenInNM 01-22-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdiaz (Post 959467)
I got two black mollies yesterday one male one female and the male is just swimming at the top of the tank by the filter and heater. What is wrong? There is no way it is scared because there is just them a silver molly that is a female, also pregnant again, and a Chinese algae eater and none of the fish are bothering him. I fed them this morning and both of the females are doing just fine, except for that there fins are closed. what do closed fins mean? This has happened before with some platies but they died.

Tank specs:
Size is 29 gallons, filter is a penguin 150 biowheel, water temperature is 80-83, substrate is sand, plants are java moss and an anubia, silver molly fry are present in the tank that are about 1-2 weeks old.

Update, the silver molly follows both of the black and the male tries to get away. The male is bigger than both of the females.

Clamped fins means stress. Something is wrong. Test your water immediately and see if you have ammonia or nitrites present. Temp. is too high for sure! 78 degrees is fine. Turn that down!

Gwen

jsagrav 01-23-2012 12:51 PM

I would add 2 more female mollies, just to take the pressure off from the male, but you might wait until things stabilize. I have 4 mollies, 1 male and 3 females. They are goofy fish, and yours may not be sick, but are just adjusting to the new tank. Wait a few days before changing anything.

jdiaz 01-23-2012 07:06 PM

Well sadly the male molly died, the only problem in the tank right now is that the silver molly is picking on the black molly who is pregnant, so is the Chinese algae eater. I think It may of died of cotton mouth, a disease that a female red wag platy had brought to my tank from petsmart. Dam, sucks bad. I am going to return the male to petco and see if they take it for refund or I get to choose another black molly.
Hey do you guys think that the silver molly might be amune to cotton mouth, she was the only one to survive after the cotton mouth outbrake in my tank. Since then I have done frequent water changes and one complete water change. After the plegue she gave birth to several fry and since I did not have any other tank to put them in it was survival of the fittest and so far it has only been 4 or 3 that have survived.

GwenInNM 01-23-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdiaz (Post 961147)
Well sadly the male molly died, the only problem in the tank right now is that the silver molly is picking on the black molly who is pregnant, so is the Chinese algae eater. I think It may of died of cotton mouth, a disease that a female red wag platy had brought to my tank from petsmart. Dam, sucks bad. I am going to return the male to petco and see if they take it for refund or I get to choose another black molly.
Hey do you guys think that the silver molly might be amune to cotton mouth, she was the only one to survive after the cotton mouth outbrake in my tank. Since then I have done frequent water changes and one complete water change. After the plegue she gave birth to several fry and since I did not have any other tank to put them in it was survival of the fittest and so far it has only been 4 or 3 that have survived.

I'd see if Petsmart will give you credit for a fish later, when you get all this figured out. Chinese algae eaters are aggressive and get big. You may want to return that fish too. Check out info about this fish, by clicking on the "Tropical Fish Profiles above". I doubt a fish is immune to a disease, you may have taken care of it with the water changes, and perhaps he/she is a stronger fish.

Gwen

jdiaz 01-23-2012 08:32 PM

Well GwenInNM, thing is the red wag platies where bought about a month and a half ago so I cant get credit, they died after a week and I didn't have any time and well I was lazy. The male molly got it after the water changes he is the one I am goint to try to return to petco, where I got him. I do think they are strong fish, I had a pair of gold mollies that went through everything, and I mean a lot. They where in a small tank with goldfish(was a noob back then and new nothing), over stocked tanks, tanks full of ammonia, and multiple fish buddies. Now I am more aware of the fish that I get and have.

The Chinese algae eater picks on the black molly because it seems to me that she is more of a calm fish. He does not pick on the silver molly at all. I am going to rehome him once that he gets at about 5 inches or when silver molly gives birth.

1077 01-23-2012 11:43 PM

Would take a sample of your water to Petco when you return the dead molly and ask them to test it.
You need water that test's zero for ammonia and nitrites, and nitrAte levels around 20 ppm between weekly water changes of 30 to 50 percent.
Molly's, platy's, need hard alkaline water with pH between 7.5 and 8.0 to do well in the longterm or they simply die after a few week's,month's.
The water temp you posted is on the high side for molly's and MUCH too warm for platy's who do better at temp between 72 and 76 degree's while the molly's would do well between 78 and 80 degree's F.
The Chinese alage eater's aren't from China and are poor alage eater's in general.What they ARE good at is harrassing other fish and creating considerable stress to tankmates and this activity only increases as this fish grows larger.