Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Tiger Barbs?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/tiger-barbs-91247/)

PonyMan 01-21-2012 10:15 PM

Tiger Barbs??

OK so is there anything that can coexist with Tiger Barbs??

Steve

maxw47 01-21-2012 11:23 PM

I have had zebra danois co-exist well with tiger barbs. The danios are high energy so they can keep up with the tiger barbs. What size tank do you have? Other barb species would probably do well too.

Philnominal 01-21-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PonyMan (Post 959074)
OK so is there anything that can coexist with Tiger Barbs??

Steve

Keep them in a big enough group and most other fish will live fine with them. What size tank do you have and how many do you have?

Inga 01-22-2012 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philnominal (Post 959186)
Keep them in a big enough group and most other fish will live fine with them. What size tank do you have and how many do you have?

Agreed. In my 60 gallon tank I had a dozen of them in with a Blue Gourami, Rainbow shark, Platies, Otocinclus and at one point Leporinus. Oh and a Pleco. There was no issues with anyone. They didn't even bother the Fancy Guppies I had in there for awhile. I think the group size is very very important and you need plenty of room for them as they are very active little fish. Fun to watch and great personalities. They used to ride around on a ball of Pennywort that was spinning on top of the water due to the filter current. It was so funny to watch them.

PonyMan 01-22-2012 07:06 AM

right now I have 9 in a 20g but am wanting to put them in the 55g that I'm setting up and just want to know what fish can I add to them without them pecking their fins off! I have 2 albino corys in with them now but my substrate is a whitish gravel, so I'm not sure they can really see them most of the time to get after them LOL. I had 2 peppered corys in there with them and they drove them crazy and I had to remove them and put them in my 10g tank till I can add them to the 55g. That's why I'm wondering what they can coexist with. I guess in the 55g the peppered corys will be fine due to the space. Also I understand that corys love to be in shoals of 4 or more? Is this true? And thanks for everyone chiming in to help! This is a great forum! :)

Steve

Romad 01-22-2012 07:49 AM

I've got barbs with boesman rainbows, pristella tetras, serpae tetras, and corys. 8 of each group or more and i've never had any agression issues.

i did shy away from long finned fish as a caution though. i don't know if it would have mattered.

good luck and let us know what you decide.

willow 01-22-2012 08:21 AM

just adding,hiding places can give the cores a break too,if the barbs
decide it;s *lets play chase a cory today*

PonyMan 01-22-2012 11:09 AM

So I should probably keep at least 4 corys if not a few more, they'd do better like that?

Romad 01-22-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PonyMan (Post 959521)
So I should probably keep at least 4 corys if not a few more, they'd do better like that?

What size tank? If you've got the capacity, go with a group of at least 6-8. They're really entertaining when it's feeding time too :-)

PonyMan 01-22-2012 03:00 PM

Hey Romad, for the 55G I'm setting up! So 6 to 8 Corys huh? That sounds like a band of mischief for sure! LOL

Also just any of the Corys mixed or does it have to be the same species Corys to group them like this?

Steve