Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Tank Accupants (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/tank-accupants-91239/)

Snype2live 01-21-2012 08:10 PM

Tank Accupants

I have a 25g glass aquarium, it is second hand and in decent condition( can see wear in it). My filters are 2 Tetra Whisper 10-30i PowerFilter's ( plan to be adding 2Tetra Whisper 2-10i Power Filter's in the back-ground for incase I need hospital tank or quarntine tank,that way they will already be cycled), my heater is Tetra Heater 10-30, my air pump is a Aqua Culture: 20-60 Gallon, Double Outlet Aquarium Air Pump( pumps out around 2800cc a minute) running a 14inch air stone. My decor is just silk and plastic plants from wal-mart(as is most everthing else from there). I have just a regular wal-mart stick on thermometer. I also have the wal-mart magnetic algea scraper. My gravel is what i would call fine river pebble gravel. My test kit is Api Master Fresh-water test kit. I'm using Aqua-safe water conditioner from Tetra.

Anyone got any stocking idea's for me ?
What would be cool ?
How could I get the best look for my tank?
Ph is around 8

Snype2live 01-22-2012 12:26 AM

Im thinking 4 Kuhlis Loaches,4 Green Cobra Guppies ,1 Power Blue Dwarf Gourami,10 Neon Cardinals,6 Pandas Cory's, and 4 Cherry Shrimp .

thekoimaiden 01-22-2012 12:44 AM

With the kuhli loaches you are going to want to have 6 or more. They are much more comfortable among larger numbers of their own species. The other problem I see is with the guppies. They like hard, alkaline water, but most of the other fish you have listed are soft, acidic water fish.

Since your pH is around 8, I would scratch everything except the guppies (well maybe not the shrimp; don't know enough about them to say one way or the other).

I've only kept soft water species and hard water species that are huge so maybe someone with experience with smaller hard water species can help you more with stocking options.

Snype2live 01-22-2012 08:57 AM

well i was told by someone else that as long as i propperly acclimate them it should be fine since all the fish im buying are tank raised and the lfs water stays around 7.8 -8.0 ph anyway

thekoimaiden 01-22-2012 01:12 PM

They may be able to acclimate to pH, but hardness is another thing. It directly impacts the health of the fish. Do you know how hard your water is?

Kuhli loaches haven't been commercially produced yet, so unless you are buying them for a REALLY lucky breeder, then they were wild caught and need to be at a pH under 7. Most loaches in the aquarium industry haven't been bred on a commercial scale yet. Home breedings have been accomplished but only very rarely.

I can't tell if you're going for neon tetras or cardinal tetras. Cardinal are more sensitive and will look soo much better in an acidic pH. Neon tetras are hardier and should survive at your pH, but they won't look as pretty as they could.

I ran your stocking plan through AqAdvisor (a great place to start, but not the final say) and this is what it had to say:

Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Guppy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.
Warning: At least 5 x Kuhli Loach are recommended in a group.

Recommended temperature range: 24 - 27 C. [Display in Farenheit]
Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.

Warning: You NEED to add more aquarium filtration capacity!!!

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 46%.http://aqadvisor.com/Images/Question11.png
Recommended water change schedule: 33% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 125%. [Generate Image]http://aqadvisor.com/Images/Question11.png

AqAdvisor Go play around with it if you like.

Snype2live 01-22-2012 02:16 PM

my hardness says soft water

Snype2live 01-22-2012 02:18 PM

and did you account for both my filters i have two Tetra Whisper 10-30i PowerFilter's

Snype2live 01-22-2012 03:01 PM

i cannot find my Tetra Whisper 10-30i PowerFilter's on there

thekoimaiden 01-22-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snype2live (Post 959759)
my hardness says soft water

Well then you could be fine. But you might want to add some driftwood to the setup. With soft water you will have to watch for pH crashes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snype2live (Post 959760)
and did you account for both my filters i have two Tetra Whisper 10-30i PowerFilter's

I did take into account that you have two filters.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snype2live (Post 959816)
i cannot find my Tetra Whisper 10-30i PowerFilter's on there

Then you are going to have to figure out which one is closest to your filter.

And for future reference, there is an edit button that you can use to edit your posts up to 20 minutes after you make them.

Snype2live 01-22-2012 03:24 PM

Thanks would proper ph 7.5 be good?