Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Angel fish unwell, help pls. Researched everything and dont have a clue :( (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/angel-fish-unwell-help-pls-researched-91235/)

kadieradcliffe 01-21-2012 07:37 PM

Angel fish unwell, help pls. Researched everything and dont have a clue :(

Hi I'm new here. I was given 4 tropical fish
about a year ago of a friend of the family.
Long story short 3 of them died :(. I have one Angel fish
left and I'm not sure he/she is a girl or boy. I'm not sure
how many gallons the tank is. I have an air pump and a heater
that I keep at 28c , he/she has gravel and one fake plant. No
filter. He/she is fed flakes in the morning and half a bloodworm cube
shared with my baby terrapin at night. He/she was fine until around a month ago when he started
rubbing against his air pump. I cleaned him out (which I've recently
learned that I shouldn't do) but I had no choice since I don't
have a filter and there was eggs all over the air pump. I researched it
and found out that if they was opaque then they was dead. (So I'm guessing
the fish is a female? Anyway since then she/he has developed
a bloated tummy and is still rubbing on the air pump and seems
to panic most of the day. I use fresh start to get rid of the chlorine every
time I clean him/her out. I tried methleyne blue(didn't work) its the 6th day of trying
Anti-white spot and on the 4th day I did a 30% water change and gave
it a second dose. He seems to be getting worse, I'm running out of
options. Please help. I absoloutley love him/her to bits. He's a fighter :-)

Romad 01-21-2012 08:04 PM

I see you figured out how to make your thread :) In order to help, please answer a few basic questions. I'm going to go on record as saying that I don't own any angels but plenty of people here do and should be able to help.

How long ago did the other fish die? If your remaining fish was part of a mated pair (guessing yes because of the eggs) then it's probably under a lot of stress alone.

It sounds like you've been treating it for Ich. Does the fish look like it's been sprinkled in salt?

What are your water parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? How often do you change the water and how much? Do you siphon the gravel each time?

If you're giving one fish 1/2 a cube of bloodworms each night - that is way too much food. That could account for the bloat you're seeing as well.

It would also be helpful if you could post a picture.

Finally, welcome to TFK :wave:

kadieradcliffe 01-21-2012 09:57 PM

The first 3 fish died in the first 2 months into having them as I didn't and still
don't really know what I'm doing. That's why I didn't think he/she could of mated with any other fish with theyr being a long amount of time between them dying and the eggs. Also when they died I got complete new tank and basically new everything. And he seemed to actually be more happier with them gone :/ I don't really know what I'm treating him for as basically all I have done is researched his symptoms on the internet and took a guess. He doesn't look like he's been sprinkled in salt. As for this part of the question (What are your water parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? How often do you change the water and how much? Do you siphon the gravel each time?) I actually don't have a clue what I'm doing. I'm planning to buy a test kit in a couple of days but I didn't want to buy one when I don't even understand what the reading should be. I don't know what siphon means. And I change the water every week with a 100% water change due to having no filter. (I didn't want a internal filter AND a air pump to be to much for him.) I'll give him flake food from now on but even before I started giving him the bloodworm at
night he had a bloated belly. Thankyou and ill try to post a pic now.
I don't think its let me post a picture I went on manage attactments
and uploading one of him but I don't think its worked if you can my
profile pic is of him. :-)

Romad 01-22-2012 08:11 AM

With no filter, you don't really have anything to house the beneficial bacteria to convert you ammonia and nitrites to nitrates. Both ammonia and nitrites are lethal to fish.

Measure the width, height, and depth of your tank and post the dimensions here or google the results to figure out the size of your tank.

I'd get the filter and skip the airstone. The filter will create water movement enough if you get the right size for your tank.

A siphon is used to clean the gunk out of the gravel without removing it during water changes.

kadieradcliffe 01-22-2012 09:09 AM

I was kinda worried that if I got rid of the air pump that he wouldn't be able to breathe? Lol :/ so what do you suggest me getting? A filter and a test kit? I'm confused. I've read on here that If I used aquariam salt he might get better? Should I buy some of them. I'm just really stuck on what's actually wrong with him and how to cure him :-(. I'll measure the tank now.

kadieradcliffe 01-22-2012 10:37 AM

Someone pls help, I can tell he's not got long left.
I've ran out of option, no pet stores will help, pls help
:-(

Romad 01-22-2012 11:56 AM

Sorry but without actual symptoms or knowing what your water levels are, there's no way to actually know what's wrong. Aquariam salt probably won't help at this point - it really just helps out with electrolytes and is not a medication.

Does you water conditioner remove chlorine and chloramines from the tap water? Keep your water super clean. That's about the best you can do at this point. If you can't save the fish, we can help you start over again from scratch with cycling your tank :(

afremont 01-22-2012 01:19 PM

Can you change all the water without temperature shocking him? The fish in the picture appears to have tail rot so that would most likely be caused by a bacterial infection.

Edit: A water change would be most helpful thing you could do right now. A filter in combination with the air stone is fine, in fact the filter is really the most important thing since the bacteria that detoxify ammonia primarily live there.

kadieradcliffe 01-22-2012 04:37 PM

I did a water change around 50% and that didn't seem to have
helped him, I've kept the lights off and had him in a dark room.
I'm stuck on what to do since I can't buy a filter
and am getting 100 different views on what I should/shouldnt do.
Because I don't have a filter or gravel cleaner
How do I do his water change without stressing him out or still
leaving him in dirty water. I thought
it may be something to do with fin rot but
his fins been like that since I got him.
I know I shouldn't of took in fish if I didn't
know what I was doing but it was either
that or the owners was going to flush them :-|

kadieradcliffe 01-22-2012 05:56 PM

Why won't anyone help me or explain it in easy terms :-(