Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Dropsy resolved, now with white spots (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/dropsy-resolved-now-white-spots-91217/)

BadFishDaddy 01-21-2012 04:23 PM

Dropsy resolved, now with white spots

Hi Everyone,

I have a black Molly that apparently developed dropsy, classic pinecone looking at the time. I check my parameters and all were within normal ranges. He is my sole Molly left.

Anyway, I took him out of the tank and put him into a hospital tank and started treating with Maracyn and Maracyn 2. After 3 days I read something on here about feeding them peas and garlic so I added that too (I figured it couldn't hurt as I thought he was going to die.) He really enjoys the peas and garlic and has perked up quite nicely. On day 3 his Ammonia level was on the rise so I did a 25% water change.

On day 5 I noticed that he was looking slightly better from the pinecone standpoint, but has started to develop some white spots on his scales (not ick, more like a loss of scales). I started adding Melafix to the tank.

Today is day 8. His pinecone appearance is resolved.

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS: Do I continue treating with the Maracyn and Maracyn 2 to complete 10 days? Is there something else I should be doing for these bruises (white spots), and how long do I keep him isolated?

Thanks in advance,

BFD

Romad 01-21-2012 08:16 PM

It sounds like a possible bacterial infection but a picture would be helpful if you can post one. Was this the only fish that had symptoms? Any other strange behavior/lethargy? It sounds like he still has a good appetite so that's a plus.

I would stop with the Melafix while your're using another med. if you haven't already. Overdosing with meds. can be more harmful than helpful sometimes.

In a hopsital tank you should do daily water changes of 25% if possible - especially when using meds. And if there's charcoal in your filter, be sure to remove that while using meds.

BadFishDaddy 01-23-2012 03:55 PM

Hi Romad,

Thanks for the reply. I have been trying to get a good picture of my fish for a few days to upload and have been unable to get a good picture. I'll try again.

I didn't want you to think I was unappreciative.

Thanks and I'll load a picture as soon as I get a good one.

BFD

BadFishDaddy 01-30-2012 10:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My Molly's droopsy has completely resolved. His Popeye is better too. However, he does have this one white spot that I can't figure out. Any advice? I know the pictures aren't great, but they are the best I can get.

I just put him back in the big tank today. He was in a hospital tank for 15 days (receiving 10 days of Maracyn adn Maracyn 2) then I just wanted to make sure he was OK

Thanks

BFD