Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New 8gal stoking idias (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-8gal-stoking-idias-91173/)

nicolaas 01-21-2012 05:41 AM

New 8gal stoking idias

My sister got a new 8gal yesterday. I put 1liter water from my cichlids tank to start the cycle , and added 4 flame tetras and two betta female. She likes neon and black neon tetras.I'll take out the flames wen the cycle is over. Is there space for the neons about 6ea?:-)

GwenInNM 01-21-2012 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolaas (Post 958121)
My sister got a new 8gal yesterday. I put 1liter water from my cichlids tank to start the cycle , and added 4 flame tetras and two betta female. She likes neon and black neon tetras.I'll take out the flames wen the cycle is over. Is there space for the neons about 6ea?:-)

I vote no on that number. Tetras are active fish, and I don't think 12 of them in that size tank gives them enough room. Also, I don't know how well your Betta's will handle the cycling process. I don't know what a flame tetra is.

Gwen

nicolaas 01-21-2012 01:32 PM

The Flame tetra(Hyphessonbrycon Flammeus) is hardy enough to withstand the cycling proses. Do you think the betta can go with them.Yes the bettas are cumming out in 3 day's be fore the spike and going back in after it.

nicolaas 01-25-2012 11:17 PM

What about 4 or 8 cherry barbs and the bettas.

Geomancer 01-26-2012 08:04 AM

8g will really have something less, more like 6.5 or 7g or so because of substrate, decorations, and not filling the tank to the brim.

The "ballpark" is 1" per gallon, but that's only a ballpark. You have to closely monitor the water parameters to make sure everything is okay.

4-8 cherry barbs and two bettas is way too many for that little water. Since the majority of fish used in aquariums are schooling fish, you are most likely only going to be able to do a single species tank. The two bettas alone are close to the 'ballpark' limit. You'll need to find a small non-schooling fish if you want anything else, or go for invertebrates like snails and shrimp.

Water from an established tank will not provide much benefit. A little, but not much. It's better to place filter media from an established tank into a new tank.

Tazman 01-26-2012 08:16 AM

Agreed on the water from the cichlid tank doing very little to help the cycle. You would be better off putting a piece of filter media in the tank or a piece of decoration.

Very little, if any (there is scientific evidence) good bacteria is actual present in the water.

Placing a small amount of substrate in a stocking or mesh bag will be more beneficial.

I dont believe that any tank should be cycled with fish in. It is detrimental long term to the fishes health.

nicolaas 01-26-2012 12:36 PM

The substrate is from a fish bowl that we kept wet for the tank . What about a male betta with the two female.