Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   new tank syndrome, need help fixing its please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-tank-syndrome-need-help-fixing-91111/)

amy11 01-20-2012 04:13 PM

new tank syndrome, need help fixing its please

hi everyone im new to keeping fish......
heres my story so far.....
i was bought an aquaone 10 gal tank for xmas, it came with a light and filter.
i carefully wiped out the tank, cleaned the gravel and de-chlorinated the water.
i left its standing for a week while i researched what fish id like, i then bought a heater which i set at 25 centigrade.
2 days later i went into my local pet shop and was advised to buy black phantom tetras, which i did and they died less than a day later.
a few days later i took a water test sample to a different pet shop and they said everything was fine and advised to buy zebra danios which i did and they died 2 days later. i then went back to the first pet shop with a water test and they told me my nitrites and nitrates are to high and sold me an airstone to help and some stress zyme, i have recently bought an API test master kit which has given me the following results
ph:7.6
high ph:8.2
ammonia:2.0
nitrite 5.0
nitrate:80 ppm

i also tested my tap water and the nitrite and nitrate levels came up non existent.
my tank has now been running nearly a month and i still have no fishes:cry:, i dont know what to do to lower my the toxins in my water and i already do water changes each week of 25%.

can anyone help me as im about to give up on it all?

TheMaEsTrO 01-20-2012 06:02 PM

It sounds like you're in part of the cycling process, but not fully. I would do a much larger water change (90percent) and test the next day and see where you are. Im assuming you arent changing the filter media, which would deplete you of any beneficial bacterial colonies, but if you have changed it, dont change it again. 25 percent in a ten gallon tank is not a lot, which means you are always having a fairly large amount of ammonia and nitrites still left in the tank after a water change. When I was cycling, it wasnt until I did 80 percent plus water changes did I really start to notice results, giving all the bacteria a chance to catch up as it were. Can you post more details of what you have been doing since day 1?

amy11 01-20-2012 06:05 PM

i havent changed the filter media, but i have emptied out the sponge and rinsed it in tank water as i suspected it was blocked from debris in the water, i change the water once a week and added stress zyme under the pet shops advice

ladayen 01-20-2012 06:11 PM

First off... dont listen to the pet store. Neither of those fish should be in a 10g. Next.. does your city put chloramine in the water? That will kill fish fast and does not come out unless you use proper water conditioners.

NM just saw you bought API master kit to test your water.

TheMaEsTrO 01-20-2012 06:11 PM

I had the same issue with my tank when we started. Then, I got the correct information for cycling. You have to test the water for ammonia nitrite daily, and sometimes you have to do the water changes daily at 90 percent, yes daily! The bacteria need to multiply and it takes time. I did with Black skirt tetras (not phantom) which are much hardier and can withstanding higher toxicity. My tank is much bigger, and doing dialy changes was a pain, but it worked. At 10 gallons, you should be able to do it much quicker. It took almost 2 weeks of daily/every other day changes, but then one day I registered 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and after a week of those readings, I knew I was cycled. The nitrates would increase, which is exactly what you want. nitrate is not toxic at low levels, so it can go as much as 50 ppm before you should be concerned, so at that point you are looking at weekly routine water changes.

amy11 01-20-2012 06:27 PM

yes i treatedthe water with de-chlorinator, what would u guys advise? carry on with the water changes?

ladayen 01-20-2012 09:25 PM

Chlorine and chloromine are different. Make sure you conditioner specifically mentiones chloramine on it.
Make sure when you're at the pet store you take a good look at all the fish tanks. Do the fish look sick? Do they have white spots on them? Are there dead fish in the tanks? (It does happen occasionally fish dont fare well in transit so one here and there isn't a big deal, but several in one tank is a red flag.)

Otherwise just keep on with the water changes. I would suggest maybe 50% every other day. Given your ammonia levels and nitrites those are at very toxic levels and should be at 0, so lets not add any more fish until we get there.

jeaninel 01-21-2012 02:32 AM

I don't understand where your ammonia is coming from if the tank is empty. Are you doing a fishless cycle using pure ammonia or fish food? The beneficial bacteria need an ammonia source to colonize your tank.

amy11 01-21-2012 04:38 AM

i think the ammonia is coming from the plant waste, the tank has been empty for a couple of weeks now and i havent put any ammonia into it.
i did a 50% water change last night and my reading are as follows:
ammonia:1.0 ppm
nitrite: 5.0
nitrates: approx 40 ppm
why has the nitrite level not changed? should i do 50 % water changes every day?

GwenInNM 01-21-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amy11 (Post 958092)
i think the ammonia is coming from the plant waste, the tank has been empty for a couple of weeks now and i havent put any ammonia into it.
i did a 50% water change last night and my reading are as follows:
ammonia:1.0 ppm
nitrite: 5.0
nitrates: approx 40 ppm
why has the nitrite level not changed? should i do 50 % water changes every day?

Wow, for sure don't put any fish in that tank. I also don't understand why you have such high nitrate levels with no fish.:-? Plants aren't going to cause ammonia spikes. Something is up. Weird.

Gwen