Tropical Fish Keeping banner

hi there im new!

2K views 32 replies 4 participants last post by  amy11 
#1 ·
hey guys.
my name is amy and im completely new to keeping fish and wanted to find some unbiased advice.
i was bought a fish tank for xmas and cant wait to start the hobby.
just wanted to say a quick hi and how u doing to everyone

#2 ·
Hello Amy and welcome to the forum :wave:

That's a pretty great christmas gift; it's the same way I got started when my bf bought me a 45 gallon hex 4 years ago. Now I've got a 75 gallon, 5 2.5 gallon betta tanks, 1 5 gallon betta tank and a 10 gallon hospital/quarantine tank.

He had no idea what he put in motion LOL.

What size tank did you get?

#3 ·
just a 10 gal. we rent our flat and the only pets theyd allow is fish so thats what my bf got me, i dont think he realises what hes started, its a 10 gal tank but im having massive problems with it trying to get it cycled, ive killed 10 fish and now stuck with what to do

#4 ·
better out here than PM's all the time. lol
offical TFK welcome Amy. :-D
i'm sure someone will tell you something i've no doubt forgotten.

what filter have you got ?

#8 ·
aww now,don't lose heart,i won't even begin to tell you how many fish i killed over
the years,tanks up and tanks down lol surprised i stuck with it at times,
i have a 10glln in the kitchen with guppys :evil: they keep dying,i'm not great at keeping them,
they are so over bred these days,they are not hardy at all,and albino corydora catfish.
then the 4ft in the living room is home to mabuna cichlids,and some tetras as dither fish(all that
means is fish that are happy to swim all over the tank which show the mabuna it's safe to
come out )
my tank looks pretty awful at the moment took it all down to decorate the living room,put most of it back together but don't like the look of it. :-( so sunday will be a busy day lol.

#15 · (Edited)
aww now,don't lose heart,i won't even begin to tell you how many fish i killed over
the years,tanks up and tanks down lol surprised i stuck with it at times...
tell me about it.

the worst for freshwater was prob. growing up as a kid. we had a tiger barb tank that had fry and we raised the babies to adults. we went on vacation and long story short we came home to a dead tank. i was pretty young at the time and dont remember to much detail but it was in my basement and i guess the heater malfunctioned. good thing heaters are made better now then they were.

the worst saltwater was moving fish and corals into a new tank late into the night. everything seemed to have transitioned over fine without a single loss. the following morning i woke up to a milky white tank and a majority of it dead. i assume the corals had a nice war with eachother releasing their toxins, slowly killing one thing after the next. i had a colony of 200+ palythoas which can release a nasty toxin ( even to humans ) and i think thats what did most of my stuff in. once they started releasing toxins, im sure most if not everything else in the mixed reef did. long story short, i lost fish and corals which were my pets and not to mention the money invested.

who knows why i still do what i do, besides me and i can tell you why. i love it.

amy hang in there, as hard as it is.. stay patient. it gets better esp. when you do it right. ;-)
and dont forget to research! that will only improve your success.

#11 ·
and i love the pics of ur tank, id love to get guppys, my other half isnt a pet person but even hes taken a liking to them but ive heard they are really weak, i really like the zebra danios but i know i have to be careful because of limited space

#14 ·
ok going to post the pictures then try and explain,because i forgot what i
was picking,it should be before and the last one should be how it looks tonight
before it possibly changes agin on sunday before the fish of back in.
here goes.........

Attachments

#25 ·
yep,google it,lol they're there,it was on the news a little while back.
oh yeah and sharks (great white) spotted in Corwall,lands end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.