Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   lowering Ph anyone heard of using HCL? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/lowering-ph-anyone-heard-using-hcl-9100/)

FuzzAz 10-31-2007 06:03 PM

lowering Ph anyone heard of using HCL?

Has anybody else heard or can confirm that muriatic acid can be used to lower Ph in aquarium water? I mean I know that it physically can but Is muriatic acid safe for aquarium fish? asking because I will be switching my water supply when I move from a Ph of 6.6 to 7.8 . If chlorine is bad I cant imagine hydrogen chloride can be good, but I'm no chemist. muriatic acid would be a much more cost effective (actually free because I already have some that probably wont ever be used) way to lower ph than ph down. I have heard adjusting ph can be a nightmare and is an ongoing battle, but what can I do. Also will begin stocking a new 36 gallon tank after the move. My existing 10 gallon will house White cloud minnows & live plants. The new 36 gallon will take the black tetras and the CAE I already have plus some new undecided fish. My wife likes Gouramis and I think Cichlids are neat but I haven't done much homework on them yet, suggestions welcome.

FuzzAz 10-31-2007 06:15 PM

I think I should mention that using muriatic acid is not my idea. I am curious because more than one websites say it can be used instead of Ph down products. I keep in mind not to believe everything I read on the net.

Lupin 10-31-2007 08:52 PM

I find muriatic acid very risky and this is toxic as well. No one in his right mind will actually tell you to use pH down considering the effects if worn out will adversely affect the pH swinging it beyond your control thus harming and killing your fish. Peat, driftwoods and Indian almond leaves are better alternatives.

FuzzAz 10-31-2007 10:53 PM

So Ph down is a no no? including the stuff they sell on the shelf of the aquarium store? I have heard of using peat, but have heard it works very slow, and are we talking about the peat that they sell at garden store? I don't want to poison my fish and thats why I ask first, but I am concerned possibly loosing some fish when I fill up their tanks at the new house with water thats over one point higher on the ph scale than the water I took them out of and put them in. Thats why I was hoping to modify the water to be more like what they are in now. and I am not sure how to do that accurately without something I can measure and get predictable results.

Lupin 10-31-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzAz
So Ph down is a no no? including the stuff they sell on the shelf of the aquarium store? I have heard of using peat, but have heard it works very slow, and are we talking about the peat that they sell at garden store? I don't want to poison my fish and thats why I ask first, but I am concerned possibly loosing some fish when I fill up their tanks at the new house with water thats over one point higher on the ph scale than the water I took them out of and put them in. Thats why I was hoping to modify the water to be more like what they are in now. and I am not sure how to do that accurately without something I can measure and get predictable results.

pH down along with other claimed pH adjusting chemicals are definitely a no-no. You can use pure peat moss from garden centres as long as they do not contain fertilizers or addictives. I used mine by Sera along with Indian almond leaves and driftwoods.