Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Putting Super-Luft air pump far away from tanks.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/putting-super-luft-air-pump-far-90958/)

twocents 01-18-2012 03:10 PM

Putting Super-Luft air pump far away from tanks..

I have a Super Luft 209601 (3.9psi) air pump. It does a tremendous job, but it is a tad noisy.

I'm thinking of re-locating it to another room where I won't hear it. I would probably have to change the fitting on the air out put, which currently has a 4 gang airsplitter with valve controls. I am not going to invest in running 4 lines, each 30+ feet.

Would this pump be capable of running an airline about 30 feet, give or tank to the splitter and still run the 5 tanks/7 foam block filters?

Thanks.

zof 01-18-2012 06:38 PM

Hard to say but my guess is yes if its already pumping that many, the only real easy way to tell though is to go ahead and hook it to the 30' of air line and try it. I regularly use 15-20' of air line on a air stones that only need 2' due to my ever changing setup.

twocents 01-19-2012 09:36 AM

Thanks. I went to a local plumbing supply and my favorite hardware store and they do not have any of the fittings I need. So, there goes that idea. The only other option would be to run 4 separate 25' lines and I don't wanna do that.
I just don't want to listen to that pump.
I am looking at an Alita: I think they have the fittings I need, but I'm not positive about that.

beetlebz 01-19-2012 11:39 AM

I will have to do some research, but my kneejerk reaction is that the 25' run from the pump to the 4 gang splitter wouldnt really have too much a negative effect on the air supply.

twocents 01-19-2012 12:21 PM

thanks. I have to find fittings first. I really don't wanna run four 30' lines.

beetlebz 01-19-2012 08:53 PM

I would try home depot or lowes, if you have one handy, though I prefer lowes' plumbing department. my advice would be to go physically see what fittings you can find, and try a bunch out. If you ask them for parts for a manifold system to run a luft pump through they will tell you that they are fresh sold out and that luft pump went out of business and that owning them is illegal. I get some really neat stories from sales associates that are caught off guard :lol:

twocents 01-27-2012 04:20 PM

Totally off topic but your comment, beetlebz, reminds me of a stunt I used to pull when I lived in Ohio. Only did it a couple of times... I owned a pizza hauler (one of those insulated bags designed speciifically for pizza pies). I would use it for my own take out.
I took to going in to whatever pizza joint I had ordered from, holding the hauler as if it had a pizza in it, and loudly asking if anyone ordered a pizza. Got all sorts of reactions.
sorry for the digression, just popped into my head.