Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   6500k lighting 'green'? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/6500k-lighting-green-90931/)

djrodan 01-18-2012 11:58 AM

6500k lighting 'green'?

I just put in some new 6500k bulbs, GE brand from Lowes, $6. I'm pretty confident that these are the bulbs for me, planted tank etc... but they make my tank look green. Is this typical for the light spectrum or could it be from the manufacturer. Is it possible that I've developed floating algae from having an incorrect light spectrum on it for a couple of weeks that I simply didn't notice under the other light.

Byron 01-18-2012 01:58 PM

Are you talking tubes or CFL bulbs? All my tanks are lit with 6500K (or 6700K) lighting, although not GE tubes, but I do have GE CFL on two tanks. I suppose the hue might be slightly suggestive of green. But all the plants might create this impression too. If your previous lighting was different, it may partly be the change.

Byron.

djrodan 01-18-2012 02:54 PM

tubes.

here's a before and after of the two new rams we got this weekend, note: one is electric blue the other is normal colored, but you can really see the lighting change in the sand.

Attachment 46273

Attachment 46272

MinaMinaMina 01-18-2012 03:00 PM

Can't see the pix. :-?

I noticed that tanks will appear green with those bulbs if there are any tannins in the water from leaves, peat, wood, etc. that give the water a yellow or amber hue. Those lamps seem to have a lot of light in the blue spectrum, and just like the old Ziplock commercial- "Yellow and blue makes green!"

Byron 01-18-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djrodan (Post 955002)
tubes.

here's a before and after of the two new rams we got this weekend, note: one is electric blue the other is normal colored, but you can really see the lighting change in the sand.

Attachment 46273

Attachment 46272

My tanks are certainly not green like that, more of a "warmer" tone of white perhaps.

I do see something I mentioned before though, the former tube was one of those high in the red/blue wavelengths, creating a purplish hue. After that, any full spectrum will appear more green/yellow. But having said that, again, I do not see this extent in my tanks.

This is where dual tubes over the tank can help. If you have two tubes, have one this tube and the second a bluer tube. For several years I had one 6700K or 6500K tube with one 10,000K or 11,000K tube. It created quite a sharp white on the cool side. As long as the two tubes run full length, this works, as the light of each is diffused evenly.

onefish2fish 01-18-2012 03:32 PM

is it visually that green or only like that in photos?

djrodan 01-18-2012 03:51 PM

the photos work when you click the 'attachment' links, correct?

I do have a lot of tannins in the water, as we added a huge piece of driftwood and the water is stained yellow. If that's the reason why its THAT green then that's a shame. I've seen so many amazonian tanks and none ever looked that green. Nuclear green :sarcastic:

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 955052)
is it visually that green or only like that in photos?

visually and also that green in photos.

Well I was planning on making an upgrade on the hood/lighting anyway. Will a twin bulb shoplight be too much light? (A 48'' 55gal tank). I'm buying more and more floating plants fyi.

What do you think about putting two of these on top and then a shop light on top of that?
Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: All-Glass Twin-Tube Versa-Tops

thats my general plan.

djrodan 01-18-2012 04:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 46281

Attachment 46282

Byron 01-18-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djrodan (Post 955068)
the photos work when you click the 'attachment' links, correct?

I do have a lot of tannins in the water, as we added a huge piece of driftwood and the water is stained yellow. If that's the reason why its THAT green then that's a shame. I've seen so many amazonian tanks and none ever looked that green. Nuclear green :sarcastic:

visually and also that green in photos.

Well I was planning on making an upgrade on the hood/lighting anyway. Will a twin bulb shoplight be too much light? (A 48'' 55gal tank). I'm buying more and more floating plants fyi.

What do you think about putting two of these on top and then a shop light on top of that?
Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: All-Glass Twin-Tube Versa-Tops

thats my general plan.

That will work, though you want the 48-inch model (you linked the smaller), and I checked to see and they do have them, by All-Glass and Perfecto. The latter is only $26.99 compared to $39.99 for All-Glass brand. I doubt there is a difference--except in the price.;-)

A dual-tube T8 would be fine. You may have to lessent the duration, and have lots of floating plants as you indicate:-D, to keep algae back. But that is workable. That hue issue is a real benefit of dual tubes. I've never bothered with "shop lights" as I like to contain the light completely so it is not shining out into my eyes. I had to replace a couple of my old fixtures two years ago, and went with the All Glass twin T8 and they seem well made. They are instant on which is good, given today's newer T8 tubes. Shop lights might be intended for the older T12's and would not have this. Not sure. Interestingly, F&S only have the Perfecto:
Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Perfecto Fluorescent Double-Bulb Strip Lights
which are probably just as well made. I have a couple of small tank Perfecto hood fixtures.

thekoimaiden 01-18-2012 05:50 PM

djrodan, those pics look very similar to my before and after pics of my tank that I just installed 2 6500k t8 bulbs in. It is taking me a bit to get used to, also. I bet in a few weeks the green hue will be completely normal and not even noticeable for both of us. :)