Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   the 55 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/55-90924/)

irving216 01-18-2012 10:13 AM

the 55

2 Attachment(s)
so, i finally got the 55 set up, cycle seems to have gone through with a little help from some safestart. these pictures look a little bare, it was mid setting up. i still need to get a little more cover for the fish, but i have put in more plants and some pcv pipes. i stocked the tanks last night (tank was set up 2 nights ago) i now have, 2 clown plecos, 1 ghost knife, 4 or 5 adult guppies, 1 "teen" guppy, 1 neon tetra, 1 serpae tetra, about 10-15 guppy fry, 4 ghost shrimp, and one otta cat. its kind of funny watching the teen guppy and the neon tetra, theyre very playful with each other.
here are pix with no fish but a couple guppy fry

i will add more pix with the fish in it and everything.

Geomancer 01-18-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irving216 (Post 954796)
so, i finally got the 55 set up, cycle seems to have gone through with a little help from some safestart. i stocked the tanks last night (tank was set up 2 nights ago)

Errmm .... how do you know the cycle was complete? This usually takes a minimum of 2 weeks, usually 4 but can take up to 8 weeks. Use of 'instant cycle' chemicals have very mixed opinions. I would check your ammonia and nitrite's at least daily to ensure they are really under control.

Quote:

Originally Posted by irving216 (Post 954796)
i now have, 2 clown plecos, 1 ghost knife, 4 or 5 adult guppies, 1 "teen" guppy, 1 neon tetra, 1 serpae tetra, about 10-15 guppy fry, 4 ghost shrimp, and one otta cat. its kind of funny watching the teen guppy and the neon tetra, theyre very playful with each other.
here are pix with no fish but a couple guppy fry

i will add more pix with the fish in it and everything.

Clown Pleco's can be territorial against each other, make sure they can have defined territories to rule over.

Neon Tetra's are schooling, and should be in a group of 6 minimum. 1 will be very unhappy.

Serpae Tetra's are the same, but they are also aggressive and can be fin nippers. Larger schools are better with them 8-10 minimum, but you can try 6. I'd see if you can return the one you have.

Oto Catfish should be in a group of 3 minimum, and a planted tank is best. They need algae.

Maxillius 01-18-2012 11:47 AM

I am sorry to ask but have you not learned from the 15 gallon?
did you actually read the page of freshwater cycling?
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/
here it is again... hope you read it all!
and hope you learn from your mistakes ...

lorax84 01-18-2012 11:54 AM

That kind of stock after only two days is going to lead to many, many deaths. Also, the BGK should be returned immediately, they grow to 24" and will eat most of the fish yo have in that tank.

irving216 01-18-2012 01:59 PM

its been cycling for about 1.5 weeks, i have bought the master api test kit and have been checking it daily. i went from last week having .5 ammonia and no nitrates or nitrites, (added instant cycle bs later that night) two days later i had .25 ammonia, with some nitires (i have it written down but im too lazy to go and look for it now) to two days ago, where the ammonia is still .25 and no nitrites, and a few nitrates. i plan on doing a water change today. my clowns actually just sit together... i was kind of surprised because i did read mixed things about theyre territorialness, but they arent really ever too far from each otehr. the neon and serpae had mates and now are the only ones alive. the BGK i will keep until he gets too big hes only about 3.5 or so right now. i have plants for the otto and i know that i need more of em but the lfs only had one more. i felt bad for the little guy. and as far as stocking how am i supposed to stock? one or two at a time?

Maxillius 01-18-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irving216 (Post 955009)
its been cycling for about 1.5 weeks, i have bought the master api test kit and have been checking it daily. i went from last week having .5 ammonia and no nitrates or nitrites, (added instant cycle bs later that night) two days later i had .25 ammonia, with some nitires (i have it written down but im too lazy to go and look for it now) to two days ago, where the ammonia is still .25 and no nitrites, and a few nitrates. i plan on doing a water change today. my clowns actually just sit together... i was kind of surprised because i did read mixed things about theyre territorialness, but they arent really ever too far from each otehr. the neon and serpae had mates and now are the only ones alive. the BGK i will keep until he gets too big hes only about 3.5 or so right now. i have plants for the otto and i know that i need more of em but the lfs only had one more. i felt bad for the little guy. and as far as stocking how am i supposed to stock? one or two at a time?

yes exactly slowly , in aquarium world think slowly and you will surely get there with out a lot of stress
ppl don't get a beautiful aquarium with thriving fish in a few weeks :)
well some may do but not us beginners :)

ladayen 01-18-2012 10:01 PM

As Iorax84 mentioned already.. what you have in your tank is ghost knife fish and lunch. I dont know if even the clown plecos will survive.

Ghost knife get too big for your tank as well. Keeping it in there is going to cause permenent damage. I would return it right away.

bigfish93 01-19-2012 12:20 AM

Everybody has touched on what is inside the tank, but I just want to point out what your tank is on. I see that the sides or your tank are hanging off the edge of the stand. This can lead to many problems and surely a cracked tank in the future. All the weight of your tank is being placed on the front and back of your tank. I HIGHLY recommmend a new stand ASAP.

irving216 01-19-2012 11:23 AM

I'm not sure as to why it looks like its hanging off so much in the pictures it's 1.5" on each side, I know it's lot healthy I am looking for a better stand ATM but they want a hundred for just a steel stand not even a nice wood one, it's rediculous :/ as far as the BGK I was planning in having him for a little while till he gets bigger and eats my fish and then hell be sold back to a lfs, I figure I bought it for just 12 bucks I can sell it for at least 20 as is, I'll keep him for a little while and make some cash off him
Posted via Mobile Device

Philnominal 01-19-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irving216 (Post 956008)
I'm not sure as to why it looks like its hanging off so much in the pictures it's 1.5" on each side, I know it's lot healthy I am looking for a better stand ATM but they want a hundred for just a steel stand not even a nice wood one, it's rediculous :/ as far as the BGK I was planning in having him for a little while till he gets bigger and eats my fish and then hell be sold back to a lfs, I figure I bought it for just 12 bucks I can sell it for at least 20 as is, I'll keep him for a little while and make some cash off him
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats not normally how it works. Most LFS will have trouble moving bigger fish and they take donations for the most part not sell. Even if they do "buy" it off you it would probably be in credit. When you think of the fact you'll lose a lot of your fish one night you will actually lose money.