Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Stocking my 35 Gallon Tank, (low experience) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/stocking-my-35-gallon-tank-low-90894/)

lamberb2 01-17-2012 09:30 PM

Stocking my 35 Gallon Tank, (low experience)

I've been researching fish for the last week, and i've started my fishless cycle in the 35 gallon tank i have, its about 18-20 inches tall maybe 12 wide, it has a bow shape in the front so its probably 13"wide at the widest point, and probably about 18 inches long. This is what I got so far for ideas any input would be greatly appreciated

1 German Blue Ram (or a male betta) As my showpiece fish
3-4 Cory cats, (any input on other bottom dwellers would be nice)
I want some colorful fish for mid level fish, I don't have any ideas here,
And for the top dwelling fish I was thinking 5-6 Hatchet fish, I would like to have butterfly fish, but was reading that they don't do well with more then 1.

That is one Idea I had,
My other Idea would be a Cichlid tank because i think the fish are beautiful, but i don't know how to stock them. Once again, im new to forums and trying to stock a tank, any input would be great.

GwenInNM 01-18-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamberb2 (Post 954467)
I've been researching fish for the last week, and i've started my fishless cycle in the 35 gallon tank i have, its about 18-20 inches tall maybe 12 wide, it has a bow shape in the front so its probably 13"wide at the widest point, and probably about 18 inches long. This is what I got so far for ideas any input would be greatly appreciated

1 German Blue Ram (or a male betta) As my showpiece fish
3-4 Cory cats, (any input on other bottom dwellers would be nice)
I want some colorful fish for mid level fish, I don't have any ideas here,
And for the top dwelling fish I was thinking 5-6 Hatchet fish, I would like to have butterfly fish, but was reading that they don't do well with more then 1.

That is one Idea I had,
My other Idea would be a Cichlid tank because i think the fish are beautiful, but i don't know how to stock them. Once again, im new to forums and trying to stock a tank, any input would be great.

Check out the fish profiles here, for info on these fish. You couldn't keep a German Blue Ram with cories, as they need different temps. German Rams are somewhat limiting (though beautiful) because of their water requirements. I've seen my LFS keep glass catfish with GBR's, and you'd need a school of them, but I'm not sure a 35 gallon is big enough. Also, GBR's need pretty acidic water with low ph, so you have to know your water, or be able to buy/use RO water. Some things to consider. African cichlids get big, so you'd have to find the dwarf variety, but they do well in a higher ph.

Gwen

nicolaas 01-18-2012 08:22 AM

What about 30 neon tetras,cory cats , pearl gouramis and oto's

lamberb2 01-18-2012 09:53 AM

Isn't 30 Neon tetra's with the other fish pushing it a little bit? I dont want to over stock and have problems. And i don't like the way the neon's look. I would like to stay away from Tetra's.

lorax84 01-18-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 954686)

Check out the fish profiles here, for info on these fish. You couldn't keep a German Blue Ram with cories, as they need different temps. German Rams are somewhat limiting (though beautiful) because of their water requirements. I've seen my LFS keep glass catfish with GBR's, and you'd need a school of them, but I'm not sure a 35 gallon is big enough. Also, GBR's need pretty acidic water with low ph, so you have to know your water, or be able to buy/use RO water. Some things to consider. African cichlids get big, so you'd have to find the dwarf variety, but they do well in a higher ph.

Gwen

You should check with your LFS before assuming their Rams need extremely soft acidic water. I was asking a lot of questions before buying mine and found that both stores I go to source their rams locally. Only Rams bred in very soft water and wild rams need the very soft acidic water.

As far as stocking suggestions there is a ton that can be done with a 35 gallon. There are a number of SA dwarf cichlids tat you can choose from (GBR's, Apistograma, Kribs) Any of the small tetras or barbs would work as a small group of 6 -10. Cories will work as a bottom fish with most peaceful community fish. I suggest you pick one fish or group of fish that you want to have in the tank and choose the other inhabitants to go with that fish.

You also mentioned Cichlids. I am assuming you were thinking of the colorful Mbuna you see in fish stores. A 55 gallon tank is really the minimum if you would like to keep those. You could keep some of the smaller Tanganyikan cichlids maybe a group of shell dwellers and a pair of julidochromis.

nicolaas 01-18-2012 10:37 AM

oops! next one

nicolaas 01-18-2012 10:42 AM

Ok. What about some of the gourami species.OR dwarf cichlids

lorax84 01-18-2012 11:17 AM

It really depends on which dwarf cichlid you want to keep. GBRs and Apistos need pretty high temps so they only really work with tetras that can also handle those temps, like cardinals. Kribensis can tolerate a wide range of temps and water parameters, meaning they can be kept with small barbs, larger tetras and larger corys. I have never kept gourami, but i know they vary greatly in size. Dwarf Gourami can be kept with other peaceful fish such as tetras and corys. Be careful though because some gourami (including kissing gourami) get to be 12+ inches.

lamberb2 01-18-2012 11:22 AM

Thanks guys, your giving me plenty to think about.

Byron 01-18-2012 01:41 PM

First thing, welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum. Nice to have you with us.

I won't repeat the good advice others have given. My suggestion in this case would be to draw up a chart with columns. In the left, list the various species you are considering. Next column, list temperature range, also pH and hardness either here or in separate columns. Next column, the level in the aquarium (substrate, surface, mid-water) which will help you select fish that will fill the aquarium nicely. Next column, numbers of that species (some fish are shoaling and must be in groups, some may be best singly or in pairs). Next column, mature size (helps to make sure you don't overstock). Last column, any special needs/issues; fish that need a stronger current, some don't like any current, behaviour issues, etc. All this data for each species is included in our fish profiles that someone referred you to. And of course, we are all here to answer questions.

Byron.