Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Gourami Tank Mates? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/gourami-tank-mates-90812/)

Mgreen 01-16-2012 09:01 PM

Gourami Tank Mates?

I have a new tank with 4 glofish, one otocinclus, and two newly added Honey Sunset Gouramis. I want to build the tank around these gouramis. I was wondering what fish would be the best tank mates in my 36 Gallon Tank. I was thinking maybe some mollies, and dwarf gouramis. I also was wondering if Angelfish would be a good tankmate.

ladayen 01-17-2012 01:34 AM

Mollies need different parameters then the gourami, probably wouldn't work well long term. More gouramis is a nono, they will most likely kill each other.

Hmm.. I cant think if the angels would work or not atm lol, too tired.

Philnominal 01-17-2012 01:42 AM

Angelfish like to be in groups and are also territorial. Id up the count of glofish to like 8 and the otos (assuming you have some algae in your tank) to 5. both like to be in groups and glofish like 6+

Mgreen 01-17-2012 02:33 PM

Thans only a month old so not much algea there. I just want to have some diversity in the tank. I was not aware that gouramis do not get along with eachother, my two seem fine so far, been a few days.

Philnominal 01-17-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgreen (Post 953966)
Thans only a month old so not much algea there. I just want to have some diversity in the tank. I was not aware that gouramis do not get along with eachother, my two seem fine so far, been a few days.

They are territorial, multiple males don't do well together and tend to fight to the death. From what i read 1 male 1 female seem ok. 1 male 2 females works too IF you can sex them and have the proper tank size.

Mgreen 01-17-2012 02:41 PM

So...any reccomendations for tank mates? i need some middle swimmers.

Philnominal 01-17-2012 02:46 PM

what about a nice shoal of cherry barbs?

Mgreen 01-17-2012 02:50 PM

I recently had problems with red fin tetras because of fin nipping, I am scared that barbs will do the same.

Byron 01-17-2012 06:57 PM

Barbs are feisty by nature, though cherrys usually are calm. But to avoid risk, and with gourami, the rasbora group offers several suitable species.

Honey Gourami are one of the calmest and most peaceful of the gourami, though still a "gourami" by nature. If you read our profile (click the shaded name) it says they will work as a small group in a 20g or larger tank, so I would add a couple more if you like them. Plant it well, esp with floating plants (gourami need floating plants) and except when spawning things should be quiet.

Then a group (7) of one of the rasbora, just not the dwarf species that are very tiny. The three similar species in the Trigonostigma genus are good; very peaceful, colourful, mid-water, and they remain together as a group more than almost any other freshwater species. All three are in our profiles.

Dwarf gourami would not be good at all, for reasons noted in our profile. Plus, as soon as you introduce a second gourami species to any aquarium, you are entering into territorial disputes among them. Cichlids (angelfish) were mentioned somewhere in this thread, they too are not advisable with gourami, but in this case the tank is too small for a group.

Byron.

PENN 01-20-2012 11:21 AM

yellow tetras are cool