Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Cloudy Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cloudy-tank-90790/)

wade217 01-16-2012 05:29 PM

Cloudy Tank

I have had a 30 gallon tank set up for 2 months and the tank is cloudy, , the nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia is all 0, the ph is 6.6. I have 4 angels, 3 tetras, pleco, and a groumi in the tank, I also have 2 live plants in the tank too. I added a new filter thinking the old one was just too old and not working properly. The old one was a regent 20/40, and the new one I just put in is a marineland pequin 200 series, it is fo rup to a 50 gallon, will this help clear up my tank?

Maxillius 01-16-2012 05:51 PM

you have 0 nitrate in a tank 2 months old with fish in it? ... hmmm with that are you testing your water?
because this seems like pure out of the tap or even better water :P
If you are using api liquid test kit make sure you are shaking every bottle a minute at least before using them!
and btw white couly water is most likely a bacteria bloom that should clear up on its own! if you wana speed up the process a couple of water changes wouldent hurt!

wade217 01-16-2012 06:14 PM

I had this cloudy problem since I set up this tank

Byron 01-16-2012 07:10 PM

A photo might help, as I would like to know how cloudy is cloudy; in case there is something we might spot. I have had new tanks "cloudy" for 3-4 months, then suddenly overnight become crystal clear. This is due to bacteria, and there is not much you can do; extra water changes usually worsen a bacterial bloom because it feeds off organics and there is microscopic organic matter in tap water. The natural system simply has to establish itself. This is particularly evident when a new substrate is used; whenever I reset existing tanks, washing the gravel/sand, I never see this except during the first few days.

wade217 01-17-2012 06:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 953234)
A photo might help, as I would like to know how cloudy is cloudy; in case there is something we might spot. I have had new tanks "cloudy" for 3-4 months, then suddenly overnight become crystal clear. This is due to bacteria, and there is not much you can do; extra water changes usually worsen a bacterial bloom because it feeds off organics and there is microscopic organic matter in tap water. The natural system simply has to establish itself. This is particularly evident when a new substrate is used; whenever I reset existing tanks, washing the gravel/sand, I never see this except during the first few days.

ok I have a pic of my cloudy tank, I hope you can tell me whats wrong with it

Byron 01-17-2012 12:10 PM

That's about what my 115g looked like for almost 4 months. It is a bacterial bloom. Why this is worse in some tanks than in others I can't say, it has to do with the biology and each tank is different. The source water probably plays into the equation too.

As you are not seeing any issues with the fish, I would leave it. Regular water changes once each week but no more often (unless something happens of course).

I would however strongly suggest floating plants. These are fast growing, thus assimilating more nutrients including ammonia/ammonium. Plus the fish--esp your beautiful angels--will love them.:-D

Byron.

wade217 01-17-2012 01:36 PM

So I bought a new filteryesterday, since this is a bacterial bloom, did I waste my money on the new filter?

Byron 01-17-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wade217 (Post 953973)
So I bought a new filteryesterday, since this is a bacterial bloom, did I waste my money on the new filter?

Not necessarily. As i said previously, bacterial blooms have many causes, and this may help long-term.

wade217 01-20-2012 07:58 AM

Byron, thank you for your help, I did a couple of water changes and cut down on feeding the pleco. We where feeding it every day and we are going to feed a half of a waffer, every three days, again thanks for your help