Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   API Freshwater Master Test Kit the best? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/api-freshwater-master-test-kit-best-90670/)

Jennybeeb 01-15-2012 03:57 PM

API Freshwater Master Test Kit the best?

I was reading some things about how to best test my water...I currently have strips that I have been using, but I'm getting low and will need to either purchase more, or a different test kit.

Not sure where I read this exactly, but I read that the API Freshwater Master Test Kit is the best? Is this true? Should I go for this one, or is there a better one out there?

SomeDudeAtHome 01-15-2012 04:22 PM

Yes. It's the master kit because it comes with a lot of different tests. Pretty much all the ones you need.

willow 01-15-2012 04:34 PM

yep echo that,and it's easy to use,obviously more to it than the strips
but fun seeing the colour changes in the viles.

djrodan 01-15-2012 09:50 PM

I was wondering this also. I own the API liquid test kit and for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, it is very clear. For PH on the other hand, which I've been putting much more attention into monitoring, I find the tests to be very hard to pinpoint. ...and when it's coming down to 7.3 vs 6.9, I find it hard to differentiate. This is the only PH test kit I've had experience with so I don't know if there's better, but maybe someone else has some further input.

Basically I'm trying to see how much my water changes are effecting my tanks PH, and with this test kit it's becoming hard to figure out the details.

thekoimaiden 01-15-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djrodan (Post 952082)
I was wondering this also. I own the API liquid test kit and for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, it is very clear. For PH on the other hand, which I've been putting much more attention into monitoring, I find the tests to be very hard to pinpoint. ...and when it's coming down to 7.3 vs 6.9, I find it hard to differentiate. This is the only PH test kit I've had experience with so I don't know if there's better, but maybe someone else has some further input.

Basically I'm trying to see how much my water changes are effecting my tanks PH, and with this test kit it's becoming hard to figure out the details.

I think the next step up from the drip test kits are digital pH monitors. They are about $100. Have you tried looking at the test results under natural light? It really makes a difference for me.

bigfish93 01-15-2012 11:39 PM

The API master liquid test kit is definitely the best and is recommened by many on here. The liquid tests are MUCH more accurate than the strips, so the master test kit is more reliable. I use the Master test kit and love it!

Byron 01-16-2012 01:34 PM

API has a good reputation for reliability. Another brand is Sera, more expensive if you can find it (less common in stores) but I have been told it is perhaps a tad better. Then there is the digital monitor of course, as Izzy mentioned.

I empathize on the pH colour, I find it difficult to distinguish between the consecutive colours from 6.4 to 7.2 with the API. I may try the Sera pH kit, haven't yet, just to see.