Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   BN Plecos... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/bn-plecos-9053/)

Lonewolfblue 10-27-2007 09:40 PM

BN Plecos...

Anyone have any info on breeding BN Plecos? I placed a breeding cave in my 75G and today I found both the male and one of the females in the cave. Then tonight, they finally came out and the male chased off the female and the male keeps going head first into the cave and fanning his fins. What do I do from here now?

jojo 10-29-2007 10:18 AM

Do you have any other fish in tank? If not leave them and the male will look after them.My brother has bred bristle nose plec's a few times with very good succes rate's.

Lonewolfblue 10-29-2007 10:40 AM

I've got a red tail shark, 3 BN Plecos (1M,2F), roseline shark, some rummy nose tetras, and Bolivian Rams. I also have an Albino Bichir as well.

jojo 10-29-2007 11:38 AM

Any chance you could move to another tank ? If not try make cave where male and egg's are safer so that only male plec can get in .

fish_4_all 10-29-2007 12:05 PM

From what i have read, it seems that the male will defend the cave with everything it has. I know when I added a second female in one of my tank the other one litterally beat the daylights out of her. I would think the male could fend off any fish you have it decided to get too close.

I would still look at moving the eggs if you can to another tank just to pretect it from snails if you have many in there. That is if you want to breed another fish by the hundreds. ;)

If they survive, I may have to buy some from you.

Lonewolfblue 10-29-2007 12:12 PM

Oh, not to worry. The male is doing his job very well, and is plugging the entrance to the cave. I got the cave from a breeder, so it's just the right size for him, and he plugs it up, as well as fans with his fins. But it's at an angle so I can't see inside myself.

The Trans Am Kid 01-10-2008 12:43 AM

Could you post a picture of the cave? I wanna see what kind and size you are useing. Thanks

Lonewolfblue 01-10-2008 01:02 AM

I'll try to get one up tomorrow evening after work. All the lights are out right now.

The Trans Am Kid 01-10-2008 01:05 AM

OK, dumb question but I have an Ablino Bristlenose Pleco. Is it possible to breed an Ablino with a regular? I forgot my 6th grade science class with X and Y cromosomes and whatnot. haha

If I used to Albino's, would most of the fry be albinos? Thanks for you help!

fish_4_all 01-10-2008 10:12 AM

Albinos and just mutations from regualr BN. Assuming you have the same species then they should interbreed without a problem. But I doubt that a majority of them will be Albino. Maybe 25% will be.