Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Need help baffleing a powerhead (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/need-help-baffleing-powerhead-90502/)

SomeDudeAtHome 01-13-2012 01:33 PM

Need help baffleing a powerhead

So I recently set up a 40B and I made my own filter for it using this method except I only have 2 pipes running down the side and one powerhead.

River-Tank Manifold Design — Loaches Online

I'm using this powerhead

Penguin Aquarium Powerhead for Fish Tank Aeration

145gph was the least my LFS carried and I figured would be good for the tank since it will cycle the water a little more than 3x per hour.

Now the problem I'm having is all my floating plants get pushed around a lot and get stuck on one side of the tank. No matter where I put them or how I angle them they end up back in the same spot. The plants are Water Sprite, Hornwort, and Pennywort. Hornwort is the only big one right now as the other two were planted when I bought them so they're adjusting to the floating lifestyle. If there's a way to baffle the powerhead some so it doesn't push the plants around so much that'd be great. If I have to though I will go and buy a weaker powerhead as long as everyone thinks it will still filter the tank enough.

Only One Haze 01-13-2012 02:26 PM

Did you try pointing the powerhead output to the glass?

SomeDudeAtHome 01-13-2012 02:35 PM

The directions say that it should be pointed at a 45 degree angle across the surface. Any higher and it makes pretty big waves and if I did it straight up I imagine it'd be really rough.

Maxillius 01-13-2012 02:46 PM

you could try fiting a tube with holes in it so it sprays like multiple jets?

Only One Haze 01-13-2012 04:09 PM

Where do you have your powerhead? In the link you posted his is about halfway up the tank to create a nice current for the hillstream loaches. If yours is closer to the top, you could do something like this (which is what Maxillius is talking about)

The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - DIY spray bar for powerhead?

Maxillius 01-13-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Only One Haze (Post 949515)
Where do you have your powerhead? In the link you posted his is about halfway up the tank to create a nice current for the hillstream loaches. If yours is closer to the top, you could do something like this (which is what Maxillius is talking about)

The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - DIY spray bar for powerhead?

exactly! :D

SomeDudeAtHome 01-13-2012 08:25 PM

Mines set up so it goes lengthwise down the tank. It's on the side pipe roughly 3/4 of the way back. I could do a Y type fitting but I think it'd take a lot of trial and error before getting it correct. Worth a shot though it's a really good idea.

Only One Haze 01-15-2012 12:09 AM

After seeing the setup in your tank thread (awesome tank btw) Would it be possible to raise/extend the powerhead closer to the surface? Then you could point it directly at the back of the tank connect a straight PVC section to a sweeping 90 elbow (sweeping to lessen the flow reduction) and then a length of PVC with holes drilled in it that is almost as long as the tank and have a spray bar.

SomeDudeAtHome 01-15-2012 06:02 AM

Raising it closer to the top is in my to-do list actually. If I have to I will extend something across the back but I was trying to go for a natural river/stream current down the length of the tank compared to front to back like a HOB filter would do or something.