Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   ARGHHH What is this stuff???????? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/arghhh-what-stuff-90429/)

Boredomb 01-12-2012 02:11 PM

ARGHHH What is this stuff????????

3 Attachment(s)
What is this stuff? A fungus an algae or what?
This is the same stuff I dealt with in my 29 gallon. It is also the same stuff that made me sooo mad I tore down that tank and gave it away. I don't know how to.get rid.of.it nor do I even know what is causing it?
I do know this I can clean it off clean the substrate and have everything looking good again just to see it come back. So can someone Please help me with it? I am at my wits end and have no clue.
Attachment 45628

Attachment 45629

Attachment 45630
This a 10 gallon tank that houses Dwarf puffers. In fact the fish are the same fish that were in the 29 gallon which is the only thing in common between the two tanks besides that stuff.

Maxillius 01-12-2012 02:24 PM

I am not sure but this looks like thread algae

Boredomb 01-12-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxillius (Post 948389)
I am not sure but this looks like thread algae

If it is thread algae how do you control it? I have had this crap with low lights and high lights. It doesn't seem to care and it is always in my puffer tank no matter how it is setup. I have never had this problem with my 55 gallon tank.

angella 01-12-2012 05:22 PM

Woah. That stuff is crazy looking 0.o I'm sorry I hope you find a solution.

Boredomb 01-12-2012 05:29 PM

Yes I HATE that stuff! I am going to clean it up tomorrow as I didn't have time to do so today.

Maxillius 01-12-2012 07:08 PM

i found this that may help but you know im still not sure these are it ! hehe
Thread algae woes. Thread algea understood? | Wet Plant Logic
It could also be hair algae ...

Boredomb 01-12-2012 07:22 PM

Thinking it is not thread algae as this stuff is brown!

Maxillius 01-12-2012 08:44 PM

you may wana read Aquaticscape.com
on hair algae it looks like it ... not sure tho you say its brown? not sure then ...

irving216 01-12-2012 09:42 PM

I have the same stuff starting on one of my plants. I'm pretty sure it's just algae.
Posted via Mobile Device

Boredomb 01-13-2012 12:08 PM

So I have been looking online to see what I could come up with and I think its Rhizoclonium.
Cause : lack of water movement, lack of nutrients, lights, lack of general maintenance(though I do a water change and gravel vacuum once a week).
So I am going to look for something to cause a little bit more water movement and work on my light setup.
Still looking for advice here so Please step in and let me know if y'all think something different.