Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Fluval M200 not really submersible? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/fluval-m200-not-really-submersible-90358/)

seriosbrad 01-11-2012 04:47 PM

Fluval M200 not really submersible?

The front of the packaging says "submersible glass aquarium heater" yet when I bought it home and opened up the instructions it says do not allow the water level to raise higher or go lower than the water line printed on the heater???

The main reason I bought this is because it said submersible, because the trim of my aquarium does not allow me to properly fix a heater onto my glass.

Do I return it? Can I actually submerse it?

lorax84 01-11-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seriosbrad (Post 947540)
The front of the packaging says "submersible glass aquarium heater" yet when I bought it home and opened up the instructions it says do not allow the water level to raise higher or go lower than the water line printed on the heater???

The main reason I bought this is because it said submersible, because the trim of my aquarium does not allow me to properly fix a heater onto my glass.

Do I return it? Can I actually submerse it?

What type of heater is it? I know Aqueon submersible heaters have a water line on them but can also be submersed. If there is any doubt about it I wouldn't chance it, just take it back.

EDIT: Just realized its a fluval M200. I have one and no they can not be submersed. Take it back.

seriosbrad 01-11-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorax84 (Post 947551)
What type of heater is it? I know Aqueon submersible heaters have a water line on them but can also be submersed. If there is any doubt about it I wouldn't chance it, just take it back.

EDIT: Just realized its a fluval M200. I have one and no they can not be submersed. Take it back.

Thanks, that sucks because I got it on sale for $28 bucks lol. Heading back to the store now.

lorax84 01-11-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seriosbrad (Post 947564)
Thanks, that sucks because I got it on sale for $28 bucks lol. Heading back to the store now.

I actually did this as well when I bought my M150. I ended up keeping it because the store I bought it from was 45mins away. It's a good heater but the packaging could be clearer.

seriosbrad 01-11-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorax84 (Post 947575)
I actually did this as well when I bought my M150. I ended up keeping it because the store I bought it from was 45mins away. It's a good heater but the packaging could be clearer.

The dude said it was totally safe, something to do with North American regulations. I actually found a post while googling about something like this. I took his word because I've talked to him quite a few times at this place and he seems pretty smart in this area. Well, myself and my fish are still alive.

lorax84 01-11-2012 05:40 PM

Sounds a little ridiculous. I remember going through the directions and it stating clearly not to submerse it. Oh well, I guess I could have submersed mine all along.

TheMaEsTrO 01-19-2012 08:53 PM

If you do some hunting online, you will find that fluval M series, which are made in Italy are submersible. According to fluval (and I've lost the link I used to have bookmarked, sorry) the glass case is used in a European model that is not submersible, hence the top wavy line to not go past, but they use the same glass casing in the North American models, which are totally sealed and submersible.