Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Cycling stalled please help!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cycling-stalled-please-help-90336/)

Mark602 01-11-2012 12:43 PM

Cycling stalled please help!!

Hi I'm new to fishkeeping and my tank just wont start to cycle I set up a 15 gallon aquarium 12 weeks ago added 4 fish 1 week later, I now only have one fish left, The water parameters are Ammonia 1.0 nitrites 0 nitrates 0 ph 7.6. Surely I should be getting nitrites by now!! Please help..

afremont 01-11-2012 01:29 PM

You must be doing water changes since your ammonia is only at 1.0ppm, right? How often and how much? What are you adding to your water to treat it? Did the other fish seem to die from ammonia poisoning (panting, red gills, lethargic, sitting on bottom)? What kind of filter do you have?

Mark602 01-11-2012 01:55 PM

Filter is an interpet pf2 power filter, fish just started lying on bottom then swimming round in circles and died they did have red gills, started changing a little water this week about 15% to try and save the last fish , im treating the water with nutrafin tap water conditioner

flight50 01-11-2012 02:25 PM

If the last fish dies off, now would be a good time to do a fishless cycle. Spare the fish and save money at the same time. My 2 Cents.

afremont 01-11-2012 05:40 PM

How are you measuring your ammonia and nitrItes? Something just isn't adding up. If you haven't changed your water much, then the ammonia level should be much higher than 1.0ppm, especially if it killed all your fish. I really suggest getting an API master kit, they're only like $25 mail order. Test tubes are best, strips can be stale.

zof 01-11-2012 07:01 PM

A 12 week old tank with no nitrates seems like a serious problem, can you tell us everything you do to this tank, what is added, what is removed, what is cleaned, what type of test kit, do you have live plants, what is the exact name of the water conditioner, how old is it, etc?

As for now the best you can do for your fish is daily 50% water changes until we can get the ammonia to go down. Contrary to what some people say, large water changes will not harm the cycle process.

Mark602 01-12-2012 02:15 AM

I have been using test strips to test water but have ordered an API master test kit I'm just waiting for it coming, I have no live plants just plastic ones, have changed about 15% of the water twice this week but before that didn't change anything as instructed by my local fish shop, I've been adding Bio live bacteria but it obviously isn't doing anything I feed them every other day I think that's it.

faronem 01-12-2012 10:10 AM

I'd start with basic initial water quality.
Are you certain that you are using properly dechlorinated water?

Mark602 01-12-2012 10:44 AM

I've been using the dechlorinater as it says on the bottle, how long should I wait between adding dechlorinater to water and adding water to the tank??

faronem 01-12-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark602 (Post 948236)
I've been using the dechlorinater as it says on the bottle, how long should I wait between adding dechlorinater to water and adding water to the tank??

If it's mixed together, 5-10 minutes ought to be adequate. For what it's worth, you should also avoid disrupting the substrate when you're pouring in the new water. Is it by chance very old?

By chance are you changing filter?