Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   My 55 gallon planted tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/my-55-gallon-planted-tank-90308/)

MckinneyFish 01-10-2012 10:53 PM

My 55 gallon planted tank

16 Attachment(s)
I have had it going for about 2.5 months now, here are some pictures :-)

Boredomb 01-10-2012 11:22 PM

It looks good!

Boredomb 01-10-2012 11:27 PM

Hope you don't mind but I have to make some suggestion. 1st being you might have some problems down the road with the Gourami and the Angelfish. Both can get aggressive and the two might not get along. Also the bubbles coming up is that from an airstone/tube? If so it can cause to much surface agitation and let what natural Co2 your plants will need. With enough plants you don't even need an airstone running.

MckinneyFish 01-11-2012 06:33 AM

Thank you!

- I have not noticed any aggression between the angelfish or the gourami, whether between themselves or with the other fish. However I realize it could be a problem down the road and if necessary I have a different tank for the gourami.

- The bubbles are from an airstone, and they have been going since day one. My girlfriend likes bubbles so it was the least I could do haha :) I have not noticed any problems with the plants growing and have yet to have one die or whither, however I appreciate the advice and I may go ahead and turn them down a bit or remove them if a problem begins to arise.

angella 01-13-2012 12:41 PM

Cute fish :) I like your layout a lot too, I also have a 55gal.

Do you mind if I ask your water harness, pH, temp, and if those are salt and pepper cories? I am adding cories to my 55gal soon and yours seem to be doing well and look happy, so call it research haha.

Oh and also any food that you think the cories seem to specifically enjoy :)

MckinneyFish 01-13-2012 01:44 PM

Thank you :)

I live in North Texas so the water is pretty hard, I use conditioner before adding it to the tank.

I actually just tested my pH and it is sitting at about 8.0 right now, a little higher than I expected but the most fragile fish in my tank is the blue german cichlid and it prefers around 8.2 and the other fish seem fine so I am ok with it haha.

I keep the temperature in my tank around 78 to 82 degrees depending on the time of day and the temperature in the house.

They are salt and pepper cories and seem to be happy eating leftover flakes/shrimp pellets and anything else on the bottom of the tank. Once a week when I feed blood worms they go crazy over those too. I have tried algae tabs with them and they don't seem to pay any attention to them.

angella 01-14-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MckinneyFish (Post 949427)
Thank you :)

I live in North Texas so the water is pretty hard, I use conditioner before adding it to the tank.

I actually just tested my pH and it is sitting at about 8.0 right now, a little higher than I expected but the most fragile fish in my tank is the blue german cichlid and it prefers around 8.2 and the other fish seem fine so I am ok with it haha.

I keep the temperature in my tank around 78 to 82 degrees depending on the time of day and the temperature in the house.

They are salt and pepper cories and seem to be happy eating leftover flakes/shrimp pellets and anything else on the bottom of the tank. Once a week when I feed blood worms they go crazy over those too. I have tried algae tabs with them and they don't seem to pay any attention to them.

Ok thanks for the info :) My pH is 6.7 after adding driftwood and I hope my cories like it. I also have shrimp, algae pellets, and bloodworms.

Cute fish though, again good job with your tank ^^

SeaHorse 01-14-2012 09:58 AM

What a beautiful CLEAN looking tank. lol It is going to be fabulous once the plants thicken and spread. Consider adding another 1 or 2 Cory's... they prefer groups... you have tons of room and they won't affect your bio load. And it's amazing when your existing 2 go meet and greet the newbie... Hi,... come on.. we'll show you around.... and off they all go together... lol. I have 8 asst in a 75. 3 panda, 2 pepper, 2 albino, 1 bronze... only because LFS has made it difficult to increase the numbers... never had a bronze since I bought the first. I also have 2 Oto but my tank is way established with tons of algae and I'm just starting with real plants. Keep us posted with pics as this tank grows out.... thanks for sharing.

MckinneyFish 01-17-2012 05:34 PM

Thank you, and no problem for the information :)

Bluebirdnanny 01-18-2012 06:01 AM

Only suggestion I'd have for the cories is a larger group and they like sand for optimum health. Consider adding some pool filter sand to an area for them. When I changed mine to sand as was suggested mine actually started laying eggs on the plants and walls.