Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   What kind of soil? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/what-kind-soil-90284/)

jdiaz 01-10-2012 08:41 PM

What kind of soil?

3 Attachment(s)
I have a 29 with java moss and a anubia that has 3 leaves on it. I want to turn it to a planted (heavenly planted) and I want some kind of soil for my tank that is cheap and worth it. Will any do or what, what are the differences and advantages of certain soil? Tank has sand as substrate, can I still keep it? and will it cover the soil well? I only have a desk lamp to light my tank for now. I want to and I want to get a glass top and buy these lights I saw at a store with like 5 LED bulbs each for like $5 and I want to get several to stick them onto the glass and light the tank (lights have a sticky back with rechargeable batterys). What do you guys think about them. Thanks for looking and I will have some pictures of the tank right now. The tank is in its first 2 weeks running.

chucklesdead 01-10-2012 09:44 PM

i would buy a small bag of mircle grow organic choice.
i bake mine in the oven at 380 for 25 mins then mix it 50/50 with sand substrate.
you could also go to somewhere like hobby lobby and buy some red clay and break it in to small pieces and mix it in.
you gunna need some small round rocks or aquarium gravel to keemp dirt from floating

jdiaz 01-10-2012 10:10 PM

Can I cover it with the sand? I dont like the look of the gravel.

Boredomb 01-10-2012 10:23 PM

If you are going to buy soil use Mirage grow organic choice potting mix. You don't have to bake it either. As far as topping it off with sand that will work. I have the same setup but have black sand over my soil.
Also I not to sure about the LED lights working for plants. I know I have seen where ppl use them just not so sure about the ones you are talking about so will let someone else sit in there.

On the anubias its best to tie them to a rock or driftwood. If you bury the rhizome(The part the leaves come out of from the top and the roots come out from the bottom. If you didn't know.) it can rot.

chucklesdead 01-10-2012 10:29 PM

i bake mine because i dont want to sift through the soil some bags have branches and stuff in them that will release stuff into your water. but i guess if you sift through all of it you should be ok.

Boredomb 01-10-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesdead (Post 946803)
i bake mine because i dont want to sift through the soil some bags have branches and stuff in them that will release stuff into your water. but i guess if you sift through all of it you should be ok.

I did sift a little out but that was just big sticks. Its done fine with me never leeched ammonia or nitrites/nitrates for that matter. Know others that have the same outcome. Though I have a fairly well planted tank from the get go also. Op if you go this route it would be best to monitor your water parameters for a few weeks to be sure the soil doesn't leech anything before adding fish. I did the same btw

jdiaz 01-10-2012 10:40 PM

Thanks good to know I dont need to use gravel. And thanks for the tip I will tie it in the morning, too tired from today.

Boredomb 01-10-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdiaz (Post 946822)
Thanks good to know I dont need to use gravel. And thanks for the tip I will tie it in the morning, too tired from today.

Best to use 1-1 1/2" of sand for cap also

jdiaz 01-10-2012 10:46 PM

I have like 40 pounds of sand in the tank and there is a good 2 inches of sand covering the tank.

Boredomb 01-10-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdiaz (Post 946840)
I have like 40 pounds of sand in the tank and there is a good 2 inches of sand covering the tank.

Btw is there a reason you are wanting to switch to soil? You can achieve the same outcome with the sand you have now. You will just have to add root tablets for root feeders