Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ponds and Waterfalls (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/)
-   -   Use my lesson to learn from.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/use-my-lesson-learn-90271/)

Stonesy 01-10-2012 05:43 PM

Use my lesson to learn from....

Well, I've done it. I have totally screwed up our goldfish pond:( I allowed the weather to destroy it, pump and all. Here's the lesson.......Do not ever start up a thing without doing your homework first and that is what I did...I didn't do my homework. I did my homework years ago to keep water for fish in several aquariums in the house, but I guess I thought I knew enough to do an outdoor eco system and I was so sure the pump would do it's job and keep the water running so the pond wouldn't freeze. The pond didn't freeze........untill the water around the fountain started freezing and gradually built a sheet of ice over the pond. Not on the water,(that's the best I can explain it) there was room between the ice sheet and the water. The water ran out via water running on top of the ice and not going back into the pond. I went to check it out when I noticed this and the fountain was dribbling water instead of making the "umbrella" , I looked into the hole the fountain had around it and saw the pump didn't have enough water to work and the fish had just enough to stay alive for a short while. Our hoses are frozen
and could not put additional water in so I'm pretty sure my poor comets have suffered at my ignorance and I feel like a neglegent pet owner plus it's costly to loose all your equipment. I will replace and try it again. I know better now. I just hope anyone who reads this takes my advice and does homework before starting any project, especially when animals are involved.

Sad but true,
Stonesy

Romad 01-11-2012 04:31 AM

I'm sorry Stonesy :( Sadly, this is how we learn sometimes. You'll have a beautiful pond next year.

willow 01-11-2012 03:05 PM

oh stonesy,so sorry :-(

thekoimaiden 01-11-2012 04:47 PM

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss, Stonesy. I had bumps and scares with my pond, too. I lost the first fish that I added. I had my pump go out on me during one winter. I was so scared that I thought I was going to lose my koi. I can't imagine actually losing them.

I am terribly sorry. If you want to restart next spring it might be good to enlist the help of a professional in building it. I think that is the reason my pond has been so successful.

Stonesy 01-11-2012 05:50 PM

I can't believe it, I have 5 out of 6 fish....

Went to check out the pond and fill it back up. After I busted the rest of the ice up to scoop it out, low and behold I have 5 live comets! Now if I can just keep 'em going till spring

Thanks for the sympathy, y'all! I read about someones lesson learned about an algaecide that didn't go so well. My heart goes out to anyone who learns these lessons the hard way. But, as someone else stated, the hard lessons are the ones we remember. Just would like to avoid those hard lessons by DOING MY HOMEWORK!

Also like to thank all for helpful suggestions.

Stonesy

Romad 01-12-2012 04:32 AM

Yay!! :blueyay:

Good luck and keep us posted.

SomeDudeAtHome 01-17-2012 07:43 PM

Glad to hear your fish made it through :-) I'd love to set up a pond one day. Where in upstate NY are you?

Stonesy 01-17-2012 08:18 PM

Upstate New York....

in Sulllivan county. Lots of wildlife and harsh winters. Don't know what I was thinking when we built a fish pond. It's a hard tub liner, not dug out and lined with what ever sort of material is used. I would definately read, read, read.....research research research. Can't state that hard enough.

Good luck!

Stonesy