Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Black ruby barb diet (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/black-ruby-barb-diet-90261/)

Maxillius 01-10-2012 04:34 PM

Black ruby barb diet

Hello! everyone!
I was wondering i started giving blanched zucchini to my black ruby barb and they love it!
was just wondering if they could also eat other fruits that are more sugary like oranges and apples
or veggies like carrots?
they really enjoy the zucchini since i give them they are even more colorful then before even more active(I didn't think it was possible ....) oh and they also get Cobalt aquatic spirulina flakes and frozen and live brine shrimp .

Byron 01-10-2012 05:39 PM

That's a good question. Many fish in their habitat would eat fruit falling on the water. The recommended "veggies" I can recall seeing mentioned are zucchini, yams [this is excellent], cucumber, spinach (blanched), kale (blanched).

Stoke88 01-10-2012 06:15 PM

Will all fish eat these "veggies" mentioned? If so how regular?

Maxillius 01-10-2012 06:21 PM

really yams? those are awesome I had some yesterday could I give those cooked to them?
and i think I'm going to try and give them some apples ... I was just wondering should i remove the skin if I do that ...
or maybe fresh figs? I heard these grow all over tropical countries and often end up as food for a wide range of animals including fish when these fall in water.
thx for the suggestion I'm definitely try the yams since I have some

Byron 01-10-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxillius (Post 946527)
really yams? those are awesome I had some yesterday could I give those cooked to them?
and i think I'm going to try and give them some apples ... I was just wondering should i remove the skin if I do that ...
or maybe fresh figs? I heard these grow all over tropical countries and often end up as food for a wide range of animals including fish when these fall in water.
thx for the suggestion I'm definitely try the yams since I have some

Although I don't know the reason, veggies (except for the leaf ones) should always be given raw. And removed if they are not eaten in a day or two since they will begin to rot and develop fungus.

Again I've no info on the fruit, but if used I would not peel it. And obviously raw.

To Stoke88's question, I don't know. I tried zucchini and cucumber, and nothing would touch it after 3 days. But I believe it takes them some time to get used to it; if they received it in the store, they may be more likely to know what it is. I think most fish will probably "try" anything they come across, not knowing if it is true food or not until they do. But that doesn't mean they will "like" it and eat it. I've noticed in feeding prepared fish foods that some fish will eat "A" and some fish won't even look at it, and all fish like "B" or only a few like "C", etc. Much like humans really.:lol:

Maxillius 01-10-2012 07:04 PM

thx il try this raw yam hehe and apple :D
for me the barb just devour those zucchini like no tomorrow they even push the danios away from it hehe
I started giving them zucchinis when i saw my barb eating the new leaves of my anubias and anubias nana
I hope it will make them stop from eating it hehe these don't grow super fast :/
and for the zucchini should i give it raw too? i blanched mine seeing as many other ppl said thats the only way there fish would eat it but il try raw next time il buy a batch! hehe
I was wondering , Byron , do you still have your barbs?

angella 01-10-2012 07:21 PM

That's so cool that you can give them zucchini :o
And also... I looked up the Black Ruby Barbs and I want some now 0_0 They are gorgeous! I bet yours are spectacular.

Maxillius 01-10-2012 07:44 PM

They are wonderful fish! :) very active not shy and each time you give them food its frenzy time! hehe
I like the fact that they fight regularly hehe but its friendly fights they spin around really fast and chase each other
you should look up on youtube they have some videos of them!
the black ruby is also normally not agresive towards other fish, mine were very careful not to hit other fish when they fight hehe its like when they get near another fish they swim further super fast and keep spinning