Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Java Moss (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/java-moss-90195/)

Philnominal 01-09-2012 08:42 PM

Java Moss

I have a 75 gallon that will have a Green Severum and metynnis Lippincottianus in it. Currently im testing java fern to see if it will survive before i buy more of it. My question is does anyone know if java moss would survive?

j dizzel 01-10-2012 07:54 PM

i have a 10 gallon tank i use for breeding with a baseball size plant of java moss which the fry use. floating plants cover the top so lighting is low below them where the java moss is located. my lighting is a dual t5, 29watt, 6700k and colormax bulb on for 7 hours a day. i 've had this set up for about 4 months and the moss is doing fine. there has not been alot of new grow but the plant is lush and green. once a week i use a liquid fertilizer at half the recommended dose. check it out in my aquarium if you got a chance.

Boredomb 01-10-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philnominal (Post 945640)
I have a 75 gallon that will have a Green Severum and metynnis Lippincottianus in it. Currently im testing java fern to see if it will survive before i buy more of it. My question is does anyone know if java moss would survive?

What actually are you asking here? Are you asking if the Java fern will make it from the fish?
Most fish will not eat Java fern due to its stiff leaves and bitter taste. Or are you asking if the Java fern will make due to how you have the tank setup as far as lights go?

Wow okay just read that and realized you were talking about Java moss. But the same question still apply.

Philnominal 01-10-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 946641)
What actually are you asking here? Are you asking if the Java fern will make it from the fish?
Most fish will not eat Java fern due to its stiff leaves and bitter taste. Or are you asking if the Java fern will make due to how you have the tank setup as far as lights go?

Wow okay just read that and realized you were talking about Java moss. But the same question still apply.

If it would likely survive being kept with 6 silver dollars and a green severum. I know java fern is known to be an ok plant to keep with both due to its bitter taste only the real oddballs eat them.

So what I am asking is Would Java Moss be bitter enough to keep the Green Severum and the Silvers from eating it or will it turn into a living salad?

Boredomb 01-10-2012 10:47 PM

You know I don't know that one but I think I would try.

Philnominal 01-10-2012 11:14 PM

I probably will try it after i make sure my one java fern doesnt get turned into a salad.