Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Omg foam (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/omg-foam-90186/)

Turtles27 01-09-2012 08:36 PM

Omg foam

Hi everyone I just joined the site and I'm hoping that someone can help me fix a foam problem I'm having with my tank. I have had the tank set up for over a year with no problems until recently. About a two months ago I started having a horrible algae problem and after trying everything I could think of I broke the tank down and switched to sand instead of gravel. ( one of my friends did the same thing and said it worked he has a well established tank) I cleaned everything (no soap contamination) and re-set everything up. The only thing I added to the water was some water conditioner, start right and salt(its a fresh water tank). Now my bubbler is creating a white foam on my tank that just keeps building. When I unplug it the foam goes away. I've never had this problem before. How should I get the foam to go away? Thanks for any help anyone can give.:-)

zof 01-09-2012 09:11 PM

Hi welcome to TFK, it sounds like protein scum build up but with out a picture its hard to say, do you have any fish in the tank?

Turtles27 01-10-2012 04:19 PM

Yes I have 4 small fish and a snail. They have lived together for a long time with no problems until recently. The fish are 2 green barbs a gourami a balloon ram and a regular snail. I dint think it was an issue with the fish given how long I've had them with out having any problems. If it is a scum build up what should I do to get rid of it? Thanks for any advise you have.

Philnominal 01-10-2012 04:22 PM

Sounds like an ammonia build up to me. Do you have a test kit or a way to have it tested?

zof 01-10-2012 08:09 PM

If it is surface scum then more surface agitation will get rid of it, or you might need to skim the surface of the water and remove it manually.

Turtles27 01-10-2012 08:18 PM

I did do a water test and aside from the water being a little hard everything came out fine and I did try removing the foam but it just keeps building up again. I have noticed that if I leave the fish tank lid open it doesn't build up but I don't want to do that because I have 3 cats. Once again thanks for any advise anyone can give me.

willow 01-14-2012 02:30 PM

hi
sorry if i have missed something,but if you have barbs,why have you got salt in the water ?

Turtles27 01-15-2012 05:20 PM

I added salt because I was told that it was good to add in to your tank from a person in the Pet store that I use. I added 2 tablespoons for my 10 gallon tank. I've since done a 50% water change and I think it is the sand that is the problem, the more I stir up the sand the more film it creates that causes the foam builds up on the top of the water. Aside from emptying the tank and re-rinsing the sand is there any other way to fix this?

Again thank you for any advise/solutions.

willow 01-15-2012 05:46 PM

i wouldn't add any more salt,the only thing you need is dechlorinator
when you do a water change,the salt is no good.
for now if you have a small net you can skim the sand foam from the top of the water,
if you are really fed up,and as it's only a 10glln empty it,wash the sand until you really
are sure your arms won't drop off lol then re fill,perhaps lay a flat stone on the bottom
of the tank so the water won't disturb the sand,and put any decoration back in place as
carefully and slowly as possible,this will help reduce the sand storm.
hth :-D

davidt 01-15-2012 08:34 PM

it sounds like you didnt get the sand rinsed very good to me with it only being a 10 gallon i would just take it back down and rinse very well and set it back up