Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   How to help awuarium plants grow faster? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/how-help-awuarium-plants-grow-faster-90080/)

Castiel 01-08-2012 07:02 PM

How to help awuarium plants grow faster?

Hey guys. I want some advice on growing aquarium plants.
Yesterday I pruned my Wisteria plants and replanted the clippings. I want to know how to help it grow healthy and strong. It's growing fairly well in my 20 gallon tank. I'm growing it in cold water and full light to have the leaves grow in lobes.
I am not using any fertilizer (with the exception of 2 balloon mollies) and the substrate is fine white ocean sand. I was reading about CO2 being added to the water to help them grow.
I was wondering if I could use activated carbon to help them grow.
Also, does anyone know if adding carbonated or mineral water would work?

tanagal 01-08-2012 08:45 PM

new 40 gallon aquarium no fish yet water is cloudy

I am setting up a new aquarium and have used larger gravel, an underwater gravel filter, plants etc. I used api root tabs and my water is still cloudy after two weeks. I changed ten gallons today with distilled water as the strips say my water has to much carbonate hardness. I was wondering if the problem is the water or the root tabs. the ph and all the other tests are fine but i don't like the cloudiness. We also have a api filter that only has two charcoal packs in it and was wondering if i needed a better filter or finer gravel or whatever. I will not add fish until the aquarium is correct. any suggestions will be be greatly appreciated.

Boredomb 01-08-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castiel (Post 944432)
Hey guys. I want some advice on growing aquarium plants.
Yesterday I pruned my Wisteria plants and replanted the clippings. I want to know how to help it grow healthy and strong. It's growing fairly well in my 20 gallon tank. I'm growing it in cold water and full light to have the leaves grow in lobes.
I am not using any fertilizer (with the exception of 2 balloon mollies) and the substrate is fine white ocean sand. I was reading about CO2 being added to the water to help them grow.
I was wondering if I could use activated carbon to help them grow.
Also, does anyone know if adding carbonated or mineral water would work?

If the Wisteria is growing fine the way it is I would only advices adding a liquid fertilizer something like Flourish Comprehensive once a week. I would not add Co2 unless you plan on having bright lights and then you will have to use fertilizers something along the lines of EI dosing.

Activate Carbon pads will not help the plants grow. I don't use it as it can pull out the nutrients the plants need from the water (I have heard different from other places but still believe it will).

Boredomb 01-08-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanagal (Post 944554)
I am setting up a new aquarium and have used larger gravel, an underwater gravel filter, plants etc. I used api root tabs and my water is still cloudy after two weeks. I changed ten gallons today with distilled water as the strips say my water has to much carbonate hardness. I was wondering if the problem is the water or the root tabs. the ph and all the other tests are fine but i don't like the cloudiness. We also have a api filter that only has two charcoal packs in it and was wondering if i needed a better filter or finer gravel or whatever. I will not add fish until the aquarium is correct. any suggestions will be be greatly appreciated.

The cloudy water is more then likely coming from the API root tablets. I have heard from others that used them having the same problem. If you can I would remove them and do a couple of water changes. If you need root tablets I would recommend using Flourish root tablets if you can get them.
Also when you say larger gravel what size do you mean. Pea gravel is the biggest I would go with. Even then those can sometimes be to big to successfully grow plants. The best to get is the smallest gravel you can.

Byron 01-09-2012 06:28 PM

I concur with Boredomb in both posts.

Carbon does remove several substances from the water, including some beneficial to plants.