Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   African cichlids combination!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/african-cichlids-combination-89946/)

bubbles1 01-07-2012 10:01 AM

African cichlids combination!!!

Hey there!!
I have a 55 gallon tank setup,it has large rock structure and is filtered and everything! And I had made a list of African cichlids to inhabit this tank!
Can anyone tell me if there will be any problems, with behavior, size , and comparability? If so can you make some changes! And if possible keep similar colored cichlids to have a nice variety and display!
And if there is any problems due to lake differences!

K so my list is:
x2 labeotropheus feullborni m+f red top
x2metriaclima esthereae blue m,red female
x2Melanochromis auratis m+f
x4 demasoni 1m 3f
x3 lamprologus leleupi 1m 2f
x2lamprologus brichardi
x2 synodontis? Recomend plz!

Thanks for all suggestions!!

rrcoolj 01-07-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles1 (Post 942913)
Hey there!!
I have a 55 gallon tank setup,it has large rock structure and is filtered and everything! And I had made a list of African cichlids to inhabit this tank!
Can anyone tell me if there will be any problems, with behavior, size , and comparability? If so can you make some changes! And if possible keep similar colored cichlids to have a nice variety and display!
And if there is any problems due to lake differences!

K so my list is:
x2 labeotropheus feullborni m+f red top
x2metriaclima esthereae blue m,red female
x2Melanochromis auratis m+f
x4 demasoni 1m 3f
x3 lamprologus leleupi 1m 2f
x2lamprologus brichardi
x2 synodontis? Recomend plz!

Thanks for all suggestions!!

I am not into mixing cichlids from different lakes but it can work. A few things to consider. First the tanganyika fish like a lot more protein in their diet than the mostly herbivorous mbuna. So if you get them you cannot feed a lot of protein for fear of giving the mbuna bloat. I would stick to almost exclusively pellets for that reason like NLS for example.

Second the brichardi need to kept in pair or alone. A single one may be ok in that type of setting but a pair will quickly make life hell for the rest of the tankmates. They are nasty fish when spawning and I have read stories of them taking fish as large as frontosa.

As for synodontis... petricola are great and are small. Get at least 3-4 though because they like to be in groups.

For the mbuna get rid of the auratus and feullborni. Auratus are much too nasty and I don't recommend them to a newbie. Feullborni should ideally be kept in a 75 gallon tank because of their size.

And lastly you need to increase the M:F ratio for your mbuna. There should be at least 2 females for every male.

Hope that helps.

bubbles1 01-07-2012 11:15 AM

Okay so take out auratus,feullborni, and brichardi. How about this:
x3 1m 2 f metriaclima esthereae blue+red ob
x3 1m 2 f demasoni
x4 synodontis petricola
x 3 lampeologus leleupi 1m 2 f
x3 pseudo acei 1 m 2 f
x 3possible yellow cichlid? (to add color)
x ? Something else peaceful/ colorful?

Any suggestions?

rrcoolj 01-07-2012 11:19 AM

Axcei again get a bit too large for a 55 gallon tank. I would look into something smaller. Leleupi are not harem breeders if I remember correctly. So they need to be kept in pairs. I would suggest you buy 6 and wait for a pair to form. Look into scolofi, rusty cichlids, hongi, elongatus, all these would be good.

bubbles1 01-07-2012 12:31 PM

Alright I guess so :p I like socofoli! They have nice solid blue colours! Plus I can get albinos as well! And I decided that I should just stick with one lake! Considering the leleupis would most likely be bullied, I should substitute them! And I wanna keep a max of about 12-14 fish! I don't want to overstock and stress, soo a new list is here

3 metriaclima esthereae 1 male 2 female orange
3 socofoli 1 male 2 female blue
3 demasoni 1m 2 f blue/black
3 labidochromis caerleurlus 1 m 2 female
3 labidochromis hongi 1 m 2 f orange/blue
2 peacock cichlids 1 m 1 f unknown color
4 synodontis petricola
How's that :p?

rrcoolj 01-09-2012 06:09 AM

I would take out the caerleurlus. They have a tendency too crosee breed with estherae which is not good. Everything else looks fine. And overstocking a mbuna tank is actually suggested because it helps keep aggression down. It is also how they live in the wild. You just have to over filter as well. A note about the demasonii also. Conspecific aggression in demasonii is VERY high and it s usually suggested you keep 10-12 of them. They are smaller so it won't be as heavy on your bioad as say 10-12 estherae. When doing peacocks make sure to chose one that does not grow too large. Maybe choose a yellow species so that is can replace the caerleurlus.