Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Duckweed wanted (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/duckweed-wanted-89924/)

Tetra Guy 01-07-2012 12:38 AM

Duckweed wanted

Ok, I want duckweed. Who knows a good source. I have a 20 and 10 gallon tank I would like to populate. Or, who wants to sell some? I googled it and can't find squat.

thekoimaiden 01-07-2012 12:41 AM

Carolina Biological sells it, but that's a long way to ship it to you. You could try checking aquabid.com. I have seen it sold there.

SomeDudeAtHome 01-07-2012 07:36 AM

I could send you quite a bit for cheap if you want my only concern would be the weather. It's a hardy plant though so I imagine it would make it.

GwenInNM 01-07-2012 08:06 AM

That stuff grows so fast. I'm always throwing mine out, because it blocks the light for the other plants. Where do you live? I keep only a minimual amount in my tanks. Even if you buy a small amount, it will take over quickly, IMO.

Gwen

Tetra Guy 01-07-2012 12:24 PM

Somedudeathome, great. I'm thinking I don't need too much. I just want enough to get started in my 20 & 10 gallon tanks. As far as shipping goes, I don't know much about shipping aquatic plants. I notice you are on the other side of the country, figures lol!

Gwen, I live in Oregon. Well, whats left of it anyway.

Byron 01-07-2012 01:11 PM

I would gladly send you a handful, I chuck it out every week, but I've had bad experiences getting plants across the border (US Agriculture have laws governing the importation of live plants) and duckweed might even be on the prohibited list, not sure, as it is invasive.

You should try the Wet Spot fish store in Portland, if you are close. That is a very good store. Almost all fish stores have duckweed floating in their tanks, unless they make a real effort to prevent it. I'm always bringing home bits with fish.

Byron.

Tetra Guy 01-07-2012 01:25 PM

Bryon, thanks, but you may be right about the border crossing. Unfortunately, I'm a 6 hour drive from Portland. And the two pet stores in this area that sell fish have no duckweed, believe it or not. I asked an employee once if they had any, she didn't even know what it was, lol!

How would you recommend the best way to ship the stuff?

Byron 01-07-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetra Guy (Post 943121)
Bryon, thanks, but you may be right about the border crossing. Unfortunately, I'm a 6 hour drive from Portland. And the two pet stores in this area that sell fish have no duckweed, believe it or not. I asked an employee once if they had any, she didn't even know what it was, lol!

How would you recommend the best way to ship the stuff?

Easy. Use a small plastic bag (like fish come in from the store), moisten a sheet of paper towelling with tank water, just to get it good and wet, and stick a small clump of duckweed in the centre and fold the towl around it. Place it in the bag, leave a bit of air, and seal the bag. It should last a few days. I have mailed higher plants across Canada with this method.

Duckweed is next to impossible to kill, so some might say the above is too fussy.:lol:

Tetra Guy 01-17-2012 06:59 PM

Thanks Somedudathome! I got the Duckweed, yay! It's smaller than I thought, cool looking stuff. It appeared to be in good shape. I put a couple of spoonfuls in each of my 3 tanks. I'm excited to see how it does. My fish are really checking it out, lol! Thanks again man!

SomeDudeAtHome 01-17-2012 07:39 PM

Great glad to hear it made it to you! Honestly I completely forgot I sent it out haha.