Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Tetras for Amano tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/tetras-amano-tank-89918/)

Christople 01-06-2012 10:25 PM

Tetras for Amano tank
 
I got a new fish tank for Christmas. A Do!aqua from ADA and I got the ten gallon one. I need to know any tetras I can get in there... mainly very small ones. I already thought of B. Maculatus, but I'd like something else

Byron 01-07-2012 06:26 PM

Boraras are rasbora. Among the tetra, being characins, the Ember Tetra is the only small one that comes to mind. But there are some possibles among the pencilfish, also characins and close relatives to the tetra. A group of one of several species would do fine in a 10g with plants. Most of those seen at all regularly are in our profiles, and knowing where you are, the Wet Spot often has most of these when they are in season.

Christople 01-07-2012 08:42 PM

I knew they fish I thought of was a rasbora, I've had them before, I do like the look of ember tetras and also pencilfish. Could you suggest a good species of pencilfish.

Byron 01-08-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 943516)
I knew they fish I thought of was a rasbora, I've had them before, I do like the look of ember tetras and also pencilfish. Could you suggest a good species of pencilfish.

In a 10g, a group (7-8) of one of Nannostomus marginatus, Nannostomus eques, Nannostomus unifasciatus, Nannostomus espei, Nannostomus harrisoni. I know I put 24 inches for minimum tank size in the profiles, but with thick live plants and good maintenance these would work.

Christople 01-08-2012 06:54 PM

Thanks for you help Byron, but I think I will go with red cherry shrimp and maybe a few fancy guppies. On an off note,do you think I could keep Geophagus Sp. Red Head Topajos in my 38 gallon. I would rehaul the tank for he right enviro, but size wise.

Byron 01-08-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 944426)
Thanks for you help Byron, but I think I will go with red cherry shrimp and maybe a few fancy guppies. On an off note,do you think I could keep Geophagus Sp. Red Head Topajos in my 38 gallon. I would rehaul the tank for he right enviro, but size wise.

On the cichlid, as it is not personally known to me, here's some trustworthy info from Matt Ford, a biologist friend of mine in Europe:
Geophagus sp. 'orange head' - Seriously Fish

I was prevously assuming you had soft water... if so I wold not have livebearers unless you are prepared to harden the water.

Christople 01-08-2012 09:40 PM

then guppies are out, thanks for the link and I will read it, my magazine says they only get to 4 3/4 inches but most say 7 inches and the minimum tank required is a 50 gallon, I also read that some people kept them in a forty gallon breeder but that has a bigger foot print than a 38.

Christople 01-08-2012 09:52 PM

So Matt says that they get from about 7 and a half inches long to 9, IMO that's stretching it for a 38 gallon unless I get like two. If I get two then they don't display all of their natural behavior due to stress. Could you tell me what you would due, besides getting a bigger tank.

Byron 01-09-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 944639)
So Matt says that they get from about 7 and a half inches long to 9, IMO that's stretching it for a 38 gallon unless I get like two. If I get two then they don't display all of their natural behavior due to stress. Could you tell me what you would due, besides getting a bigger tank.

I think you know my feelings on fish: I would never acquire a fish unless I can get it in the numbers required to keep it "happy" and that means a sufficiently-sized tank. With this species, that would be a group of 5 or more fish in a 6-foot tank. But what a display that would be. I have really never looked at this fish until you mentioned it (which is why I sent you to someone who knows it) and I am not a fan of "big" fish. But if I was, this would be a beauty.

Christople 01-09-2012 05:57 PM

yeah... I think I might get a pair of fire mouths


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2