Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Info on Oscars (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/info-oscars-89836/)

alysalouise 01-06-2012 12:19 AM

Info on Oscars

I picked up a little guy today to eat all my feeders, actually was planned to borrow him, but i already fell in love with him (or her not sure) So i plan to keep him in my 75, but i was wondering what and if there is any fish i can keep with him that he'll be happy with and not eat when he gets his full size

Also, how do i tell if it's a male or female?

And any other info would be great too

Never will get around to it, but just to know it, any one know how to breed them since they dont get along with each other?

Also, are they always shy at first when they are brought home?
I know he wasnt fed before i got him today, none of them were, and they nearly attacked the ladys finger when she was seeing who was hungriest, but ever since i got him home, he's just been hiding, and not any interest in the fish, kinda like he is depressed to be taken away from his friends, he perks up when he see's his reflection

Is it just going to take him a few days to open up?

1077 01-06-2012 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alysalouise (Post 941844)
I picked up a little guy today to eat all my feeders, actually was planned to borrow him, but i already fell in love with him (or her not sure) So i plan to keep him in my 75, but i was wondering what and if there is any fish i can keep with him that he'll be happy with and not eat when he gets his full size

Also, how do i tell if it's a male or female?

And any other info would be great too

Never will get around to it, but just to know it, any one know how to breed them since they dont get along with each other?

Also, are they always shy at first when they are brought home?
I know he wasnt fed before i got him today, none of them were, and they nearly attacked the ladys finger when she was seeing who was hungriest, but ever since i got him home, he's just been hiding, and not any interest in the fish, kinda like he is depressed to be taken away from his friends, he perks up when he see's his reflection

Is it just going to take him a few days to open up?

Have you checked out the fish profiles here? should find info under.. Astronotus Ocellatus.
I will tell you that feeder fish you raise are O.K. as occasional snack perhap's once a week but they are poor nutritionally on regular basis. And once the oscar develops a taste for feeder's,he/she may refuse more healthy foods.
Fish will do MUCH better on quality pellet food for cichlids along with bit's of shrimp,krill,earthworms,cricket's, meal worms on rotating basis.
No way I know, or have heard of, to correctly tell the difference between male and female with any degree of accuracy.

alysalouise 01-06-2012 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 941869)
Have you checked out the fish profiles here? should find info under.. Astronotus Ocellatus.
I will tell you that feeder fish you raise are O.K. as occasional snack perhap's once a week but they are poor nutritionally on regular basis. And once the oscar develops a taste for feeder's,he/she may refuse more healthy foods.
Fish will do MUCH better on quality pellet food for cichlids along with bit's of shrimp,krill,earthworms,cricket's, meal worms on rotating basis.
No way I know, or have heard of, to correctly tell the difference between male and female with any degree of accuracy.

I have pellet food, frozen brine shrimp, and frozen blood worms on hand too, so that shouldnt be an issue, i dropped some pellets in front of him and he didnt even budge, i know the petstore feeds a mix of blood worms and brine shrimp to them, so i know thats something he does eat. but just hasnt yet, he was looking all happy earlier,until he spotted me and he went into hiding and his colors dulled
Any reason why my appearnce would stress him?

1077 01-06-2012 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alysalouise (Post 941870)
I have pellet food, frozen brine shrimp, and frozen blood worms on hand too, so that shouldnt be an issue, i dropped some pellets in front of him and he didnt even budge, i know the petstore feeds a mix of blood worms and brine shrimp to them, so i know thats something he does eat. but just hasnt yet, he was looking all happy earlier,until he spotted me and he went into hiding and his colors dulled
Any reason why my appearnce would stress him?

Is tank cycled? (had to ask) Temp around 78 degree's F would suit him/her, along with time to adjust to new home.
Weekly 50 percent water changes, remove uneaten foods after 45 min to an hour.
Large clay flower pot,large smooth riverstones,driftwood branches would help bring since of security.
With Good tank/filter maint,He/she will soon be begging at the front glass whever He/she sees you.;-)

alysalouise 01-06-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 941888)
Is tank cycled? (had to ask) Temp around 78 degree's F would suit him/her, along with time to adjust to new home.
Weekly 50 percent water changes, remove uneaten foods after 45 min to an hour.
Large clay flower pot,large smooth riverstones,driftwood branches would help bring since of security.
With Good tank/filter maint,He/she will soon be begging at the front glass whever He/she sees you.;-)

Lol yes very cycled, temp is always at 77-78
Did a water change today just before i added him, let him float in the tank long enough for the water in the bag and out to be same temp then started adding a little bit of tank water every 15 minutes
I have smooth river stones in there, and some fake driftwood decor in there, he's hiding in one of the pieces right now
And i actually have 2 filters running on that tank

1077 01-06-2012 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alysalouise (Post 941891)
Lol yes very cycled, temp is always at 77-78
Did a water change today just before i added him, let him float in the tank long enough for the water in the bag and out to be same temp then started adding a little bit of tank water every 15 minutes
I have smooth river stones in there, and some fake driftwood decor in there, he's hiding in one of the pieces right now
And i actually have 2 filters running on that tank

Good deal!8-)

alysalouise 01-06-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 941894)
Good deal!8-)

lol i thought so to.
So if i wanted to add some convict cichlids, how many would i add?
Figured get what i want with him now while he's still young so maybe he wont be aggressive towards them if i had added them later on

Philnominal 01-06-2012 07:33 PM

A lot of people wouldnt advise keeping cons and oscars (have personally never owned a con) but in a fight convict against oscar convicts will kill the oscar and they are one of the more aggressive species especially for their size. Also more then one is probably a no no anyway do to their aggressive nature should they pair up everything else in the tank would be in trouble and if they are like other cichlids if they dont pair up the bigger will pick on the smaller.

alysalouise 01-06-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philnominal (Post 942483)
A lot of people wouldnt advise keeping cons and oscars (have personally never owned a con) but in a fight convict against oscar convicts will kill the oscar and they are one of the more aggressive species especially for their size.

Oh, well i was told firemouths, cons and silver dollars are a few that could be kept with oscars

But if that isnt true

What can be?

Philnominal 01-06-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alysalouise (Post 942484)
Oh, well i was told firemouths, cons and silver dollars are a few that could be kept with oscars

But if that isnt true

What can be?

If the oscar doesnt bully the firemouth and the firemouth doesnt intimidate the oscar they probably would work. The firemouth while having a bit worse of a temper then the oscar is a bluffing kind of fish and doesnt really do damage to those it doesnt like, just scares them. Honestly with cichlids it all depends on the fish, you can't pick their tanks mates, they pick them. You just do the preliminary interviews. Silvers would work fine, though you also want to be careful about the size of the tank and the amount of fish you put in with the oscar. You have a fish that could potentially reach 14 inches and is a eating machine (meaning a lot of waste). Something to clean up after his left overs would probably be good, something like a bristlenose pleco. Others would probably be better at suggestions as i have very limited experience with oscars.

Oscar and Severum can get along, depending on the individual personalities of the fish, but once again depending on if you get Rotkiel Severum or not thats another fish that can potentially grow to 8-10 inches and is an eating machine.