Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What is the species of the Pleco (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-species-pleco-89828/)

imcosmokramer 01-05-2012 11:55 PM

What is the species of the Pleco

Does anyone know what species this pleco is?

I'm feeding it algae wafers and it seems to like them, he sits there all day with the thing in his mouth.

I feed nutrafin max small tropical fish micro granules for my gobys and tetras.

I don't need to feed the shrimp right?

lorax84 01-06-2012 12:23 AM

Looks like a regular Bristlenose Pleco to me.

imcosmokramer 01-06-2012 12:36 AM

is that the same as Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus?

chrissybrown593 01-06-2012 06:56 AM

looks like a common pleco how long have u had it and how big is he ?

Geomancer 01-06-2012 08:35 AM

The shrimp will eat the little left over bits of food among other things, with those ones you will not need to feed them anything special. Fan eaters are a different story (like Bamboo Shrimp).

Not sure on the specific species of the pleco, but I've seen them often in fish stores so could very well be the Common Pleco. They get big (well, all plecos do), the Common ~20". They eat algae when small, but not as they get older. You'll need to give them different food, for example vegetables like cucumber.

imcosmokramer 01-06-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissybrown593 (Post 941923)
looks like a common pleco how long have u had it and how big is he ?

Have had it for about a month, it's probably 2" big.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geomancer (Post 941944)
The shrimp will eat the little left over bits of food among other things, with those ones you will not need to feed them anything special. Fan eaters are a different story (like Bamboo Shrimp).

Not sure on the specific species of the pleco, but I've seen them often in fish stores so could very well be the Common Pleco. They get big (well, all plecos do), the Common ~20". They eat algae when small, but not as they get older. You'll need to give them different food, for example vegetables like cucumber.

thanks!

Geomancer 01-06-2012 10:43 AM

I saw in your other thread you said your tank was just 5 gallons?

If so I'd strongly recommend seeing if you can return/exchange the pleco for something else. They simply get far too large, plus they produce a LOT of waste (like goldfish).

He's fine now, but will outgrown a 5 gallon quickly. Your typical 55 gallon tank, while 4 feet long, is only 12 3/4 inches wide (outside dimension!) which means a full grown pleco would have trouble turning around. Much better to have a 4ft long, 2ft wide or larger tank for these guys.

jeaninel 01-06-2012 03:59 PM

It's a Bristlenose Pleco. They only get to about 4-6".

chrissybrown593 01-06-2012 04:20 PM

I defo didn't see any bristles on that I also have a common plec and he looks the exact same
Posted via Mobile Device

jeaninel 01-08-2012 04:47 PM

Just because there's no bristles doesn't mean it's not a BN. It could be a female or just not mature enough yet. I have 3 BN's including a female which looks exactly like this one, markings and all. I guess time will tell whether it is or not.:-)