Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   anybody with experience moving larger tanks? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/anybody-experience-moving-larger-tanks-8976/)

FuzzAz 10-24-2007 06:57 PM

anybody with experience moving larger tanks?

Is it safe to move a 36 gallon glass tank with 50lb of gravel and about estimated 3 gallons (1 1/2 inches) of water in it? I just bought it, want to know if I can move it while keeping the cultures in the gavel in tact. also suggestions for moving the filter and bio-wheel. Only going 60 mile distance, should be able to get it back up and running at my house within a few hours of draining. its about an extra 75 pounds of stuff in the tank, the tank its self I would estimate at about 40 pounds. obviously I am not moving it by myself, but I'm just worried if the tank can handle being carried with the extra weight in it.

BTW posted water parameters my other thread about the sick CAE. everything looks normal except ammonia was 0.25ppm. Though the obvious answer is I am over stocked, I would like to wait a while and test again. I feel this could be caused by the recent medications and the bacteria filter change, after all I haven't been experiencing any fish loss, and have had this setup for months. In any case I plan on moving things around to a better situation as soon as I can.

MattD 10-24-2007 08:26 PM

I don't have any experience moving tanks with stuff in it, it's always been standard protocol to completely empty the tank for me. I wouldn't recommend keeping too much inside it. It's tempered glass (most likely) but it could still buckle under the weight.

I know that wasn't much help but just suggesting. :D good luck.[/list]

herefishy 10-24-2007 09:30 PM

I have moved large tanks on freqent occasions and I always remove all gravel, plants, water, fish......everything! The reason for this is I do not want to break the seals on the tank. Broken seals are as bad as broken glass. If either one, seals or glass, happens to break, the tank becomes good for only terrarium use. Or for the recycling bin.

I have used a peice of 3/4 plywood the help keep the bottom as flat as possible. At that thickness you shouldn't have too much bending.

JouteiMike 10-24-2007 10:02 PM

I think you should be fine. Just do it carefully and slowly so the water doesn't get tossed around too much. I would even drain a little more water, just enough so the gravel is still damp. There still is a slight risk, as previously posted, but I've moved my tank before with gravel and a little water in it before, with no problems. Aquariums are built to withstand a heavy amount of weight, so in m opinion, you'll be good.

For the filter, I would completely empty the filter chamber water into some ziplock or plastic bags and submerge the bio-wheels in the old aquarium water to preserve the bacteria colonies.

Good luck!

Gump 10-25-2007 03:25 AM

I'm with herefishy, empty the tank all the way of everything.

If you want to keep the bacteria in your gravel put it in a 5 gallon bucket with some water and an airstone.

GregV 10-25-2007 05:04 PM

biggest tank ive moved with gravel in it was a 35 gal, if the gravel moves very little you will be fine, as the wieght of the gravel should be no concern. if the gravel/rocks are loose remove them as they will slide and probably crack/shater the glass