Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Water Issues (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/water-issues-89722/)

bellabean 01-04-2012 06:39 PM

Water Issues

So before adding my pleco I had finally got my tank cycled and we were good! At that point there was 4 fish in the tank (3 platy, 1 molly). I removed a platy due to health. A few days later got my pleco. All was good still.hat I don't understamd is how a 1.45" sweet little thing could play so much havic on the tank!
I just did my tests (API master)

3 days ago it was fine!

PH - 7.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5

Anyways I did a 60% water change then came on to post.

Today
PH - 7.2
Ammonia - 0.5
Nitrite - 5.0
Nitrate - 40

Is this normal ?!
All I was feeding was frozen brine shrimp at night and an occasional algea wafer.
Picked up some sinking pellets today for it.

Byron 01-04-2012 07:26 PM

More info would help us. What is the tank size? And have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? This is worth doing once, as any can be present. What conditioner are you using? And last, what is your test kit?

Byron.

bellabean 01-04-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 940558)
More info would help us. What is the tank size? And have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? This is worth doing once, as any can be present. What conditioner are you using? And last, what is your test kit?

Byron.

15 gallon tank
Yes. Can't remember the numbers now but apparently they were normal? I have and only had an issue since adding the pleco
I use Prime
API Master Kit

Byron 01-05-2012 12:35 PM

I should have also asked if there are live plants. If not, it is good to have some, even if just floating. Plants will easily handle any increase in ammonia like this, and nitrite is not an issue since it is not produced when plants assimilate ammonia.

Aside from that, I would not expect one fish to cause these increases. But I have to question the nitrite; at 5 no fish would be alive. Assuming the fish are all still alive and behaving normally, I frankly wouldn't worry. There must have been something askew with the test.

A note on the API nitrate test, you need to shake Regent #2 for 2 minutes or more; the instructions say 30 seconds, but this often results in a false 9and higher) reading for nitrate.

I don't know which species of pleco you have, but the common pleco gets very large, 1-2 feet, and this is obviously going to be a problem in a 15g. They also produce a lot of waste. The Bristlenose Pleco is 4-5 inches max. You can read more in our profiles, click on the shaded names.

Byron.

bellabean 01-05-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 941235)
I should have also asked if there are live plants. If not, it is good to have some, even if just floating. Plants will easily handle any increase in ammonia like this, and nitrite is not an issue since it is not produced when plants assimilate ammonia.

Aside from that, I would not expect one fish to cause these increases. But I have to question the nitrite; at 5 no fish would be alive. Assuming the fish are all still alive and behaving normally, I frankly wouldn't worry. There must have been something askew with the test.

A note on the API nitrate test, you need to shake Regent #2 for 2 minutes or more; the instructions say 30 seconds, but this often results in a false 9and higher) reading for nitrate.

I don't know which species of pleco you have, but the common pleco gets very large, 1-2 feet, and this is obviously going to be a problem in a 15g. They also produce a lot of waste. The Bristlenose Pleco is 4-5 inches max. You can read more in our profiles, click on the shaded names.

Byron.

I did but they were wilted and dying.
Just bought 4 bunches of plants today and replanted

There is only 4 fish in the tank
(2 platy, 1 molly and 1 pleco)

When testiung today I shook for 1 minute instead of 30 seconds and taped on the counter with it.
Arm was falling off. LOL

I have a hypancistrus contraden
max size is 4-5". It is 1.45" right now

TODAYS TEST
PH - 6.5
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 1
Nitrate - 40

Byron 01-06-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellabean (Post 941689)
I did but they were wilted and dying.
Just bought 4 bunches of plants today and replanted

There is only 4 fish in the tank
(2 platy, 1 molly and 1 pleco)

When testiung today I shook for 1 minute instead of 30 seconds and taped on the counter with it.
Arm was falling off. LOL

I have a hypancistrus contraden
max size is 4-5". It is 1.45" right now

TODAYS TEST
PH - 6.5
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 1
Nitrate - 40

Those numbers are better, though nitrite at 1 (if that is again accurate) is dangerous. But here again, if the platy and molly are not showing distress, leave it. Though a partial water change using a good conditioner would not hurt anything. [By the way, the nitrate regent 2 needs shaking 2 minutes. If nitrate is 40 that is getting high, not as serious as ammonia or nitrite, but still high. Plants should help with this.]

On the plants, what light do you have? This is the most crucial aspect of plants.

That Hypancistrus is quickly going to outgrow your 15g. I have one of the Hypancistrus species, Hypancistrus furunculus, which also maxes out at 5 inches as many in this genus do, and he is in a 4-foot tank. If a much larger tank is not in the near future, I would return it. Believe me, a 4-5 inch pleco creates a lot of disturbance and needs space.

bellabean 01-06-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 942155)
Those numbers are better, though nitrite at 1 (if that is again accurate) is dangerous. But here again, if the platy and molly are not showing distress, leave it. Though a partial water change using a good conditioner would not hurt anything. [By the way, the nitrate regent 2 needs shaking 2 minutes. If nitrate is 40 that is getting high, not as serious as ammonia or nitrite, but still high. Plants should help with this.]

On the plants, what light do you have? This is the most crucial aspect of plants.

That Hypancistrus is quickly going to outgrow your 15g. I have one of the Hypancistrus species, Hypancistrus furunculus, which also maxes out at 5 inches as many in this genus do, and he is in a 4-foot tank. If a much larger tank is not in the near future, I would return it. Believe me, a 4-5 inch pleco creates a lot of disturbance and needs space.

I have the stock light that came with it. I "THINK" it was 2 x 25watt bulbs. It was the max that could go in it. Pleco is housed in this tank for the year. Once we move we are buying a 175 gallon fish tank. But we will be moving at the end of the year. I really don't want to move that big of tank.

I'll try the 2min shake

Byron 01-06-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellabean (Post 942416)
I have the stock light that came with it. I "THINK" it was 2 x 25watt bulbs. It was the max that could go in it. Pleco is housed in this tank for the year. Once we move we are buying a 175 gallon fish tank. But we will be moving at the end of the year. I really don't want to move that big of tank.

I'll try the 2min shake

The light is incandescant (screw-in bulbs) I take it, so I would recommend a couple of daylight Compact Flourescent bulbs (those spiral ones) you can get from a hardware store. I use the GE Daylight 6500K 10 watt bulbs, two of them, over my 10g and 20g tanks and they are ideal. CFL bulbs produce more light with less energy, and less heat results.

bellabean 01-06-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 942429)
The light is incandescant (screw-in bulbs) I take it, so I would recommend a couple of daylight Compact Flourescent bulbs (those spiral ones) you can get from a hardware store. I use the GE Daylight 6500K 10 watt bulbs, two of them, over my 10g and 20g tanks and they are ideal. CFL bulbs produce more light with less energy, and less heat results.

Yes that's them
Ok will get those!
The fish get mad and hide if the light stays on too long.

Byron 01-06-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellabean (Post 942431)
Yes that's them
Ok will get those!
The fish get mad and hide if the light stays on too long.

Floating plants solve that problem. I've never yet met a fish that didn't love the cover of floating plants.:lol: