Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Anubias leaf or....... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/anubias-leaf-89706/)

Boredomb 01-04-2012 04:01 PM

Anubias leaf or.......

2 Attachment(s)
So I bought this Anubias already attached to this piece of driftwood from Petco over the weekend.
Attachment 44906

I noticed the other day it was putting out what I thought was a new leave but I am not sure as I have the same plant in my 55 gallon and when it puts off new leaves it doesn't really look like this
Attachment 44907

So can someone tell what thy is? Maybe a new leave?

KendraMc 01-04-2012 04:06 PM

i don't know much about anubias, but it looks more like a flower to me. i have to say, if it is a leaf i doubt it will be formed right.

Boredomb 01-04-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KendraMc (Post 940322)
i don't know much about anubias, but it looks more like a flower to me. i have to say, if it is a leaf i doubt it will be formed right.

I was wondering if it was a flower..... but didn't know if they would put one out or not?

Jayy 01-04-2012 04:19 PM

On the profile, it does state that it can flower

Boredomb 01-04-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayy (Post 940336)
On the profile, it does state that it can flower

LoL Thanks Jayy, I actually just got done reading the profile and saw that but still not sure as the profile pic is different. At any rate I think the plant likes it in my setup as it has only been there since Saturday. LoL

Jayy 01-04-2012 04:41 PM

I hope it is a flower, I'm curious to what it will look like.

Byron 01-04-2012 05:49 PM

Yes, that is a flower appearing. The photo in the profile isn't the best, but it was all I could find online that wasn't copyright.

The flowers are to me small versions of the houseplant calla lily, if you've ever seen that flowering. The petals will turn white, and there is the stamen inside. The flower remains underwater when the plant is submersed as it usually is in aquaria.

Plants sometimes flower shortly after you acquire them. That is usually because they have been grown emersed by the nursery, and marsh plants (many of our popular aquarium plants are not true aquatic but amphibious marsh plants) normally flower during the emersed period. I did once have Anubias flower for me after it had been in the aquarium for several years, which was a nice surprise.

Boredomb 01-04-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 940439)
Yes, that is a flower appearing. The photo in the profile isn't the best, but it was all I could find online that wasn't copyright.

The flowers are to me small versions of the houseplant calla lily, if you've ever seen that flowering. The petals will turn white, and there is the stamen inside. The flower remains underwater when the plant is submersed as it usually is in aquaria.

Plants sometimes flower shortly after you acquire them. That is usually because they have been grown emersed by the nursery, and marsh plants (many of our popular aquarium plants are not true aquatic but amphibious marsh plants) normally flower during the emersed period. I did once have Anubias flower for me after it had been in the aquarium for several years, which was a nice surprise.

Yes it was kinda hard to see the flower in the profile pic. Thanks for explain more on how the flower will look. I had a lily once in a 55 gallon tank once setup for frogs. It would produce flowers on a regular basis. The flowers were pretty much how you described them. I have no clue how long this plant had been in the stores tank but usually the stores around me really don't sell that much plants so there's no telling how long they had it for. At any rate I am just happy I actually got a plant to flower be it whatever reason. LoL

Ogre44 01-04-2012 07:14 PM

That's a nice one.
Most of the driftwood/plant combos I can find around here are simply flattish logs.

The flower is a sweet bonus as well.

Boredomb 01-04-2012 08:27 PM

I found that piece for $10 so I couldn't pass it up. It didn't have the flower when I bought it. I just notice it really today. I thought it was snivel piece myself!