Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Fluval Edge 6 gal? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/fluval-edge-6-gal-89677/)

Toallhisdoom 01-04-2012 08:23 AM

Fluval Edge 6 gal?

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, i have a green tree python that i paid $350 for and was looking to rehome it, a friend has a fluval edge 6 gallon salt water tank he has had going for a while. He said he has upgraded the lights with 2 led light strips. And the actual lights converted to LEDs. He said he would trade me the tank and $75 dollars for my snake. The tank comes all set up with heater and a current maker, 3 live rocks, rose bubble sea anemones, sea urchin, 2 clown fish, star fish, and a bunch of supplys. Is this a decent setup? How easy will it be to maintain? If you know anything about snakes a green tree python is one of the most demanding to take care of so i am capable of handaling things. Also i have a 35gal fresh water cichlid tank.

I have never had a salt water tank and am starting my research before we do the trade. What should i look into? Do i have to hand feed the anenomes as a friend told me? how complicated is all this?

and is a fluval edge a decent tank? I just want something small that looks nice to put in my room. I am not overly concerned with the size or amount of fish that i can put in it. I would be content with just 2-3 fish. And maybe some snails to control the alge.

thanks guy!

BTW my names colton! This is my first post. Thanks!

Toallhisdoom 01-04-2012 09:07 AM

He said the tank has been established for a year. And does the tank look healthy from the pics? Compaired to my fresh water tank there is a lot of algae but i have a cat fish and a sucker fish so the tank stays pretty much spotless with the 2 of them. And i know with salt water you get more algae growth.

onefish2fish 01-04-2012 09:12 AM

it looks like green hair algae and aiptasia to me in there. the 2 clowns is your absolute max for fish in that size tank and thats even pushing it. the starfish, do we know what kind? its prob. going to slowly die from starving to death.
these tanks are so small its really only fitting for a few shrimp and maybe a clown goby if that.

keep in mind the smaller the saltwater tank, the harder it is to care for.

welcome to the forum.

Toallhisdoom 01-04-2012 09:16 AM

Yea he just told me they were aptasia, and that the star fish were not purchased they just came out of the live rock. So as long as i just don't add any more fish it should be alright? I mean they have been fine for a year so as long as i do not change anything i can assume it would be ok?

Toallhisdoom 01-04-2012 09:22 AM

i have several 15 gal tanks, and 20 gal tanks, and even a 55 gal tank i have a snake in. Would i be better off just making one of those into a salt water tank? Really am just trying to figure out what to do here. I have always wanted a salt water tank, but am just not sure what the best way to go is.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Nubster 01-04-2012 09:26 AM

I'd personally skip the trade. A 6 gal SW tank is not really the best thing to start off with. Doable but a lot more work than a larger tank.

If you are interested in trying SW and you are willing to get rid of the snake, see if you can sell it for $300+. With some frugal shopping you could probably do a pretty simple FOWLR setup for about $300. Maybe a 20g which would be a bit more stable than a 6g. You could save up and add some corals later.

Toallhisdoom 01-04-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 939822)
it looks like green hair algae and aiptasia to me in there. the 2 clowns is your absolute max for fish in that size tank and thats even pushing it. the starfish, do we know what kind? its prob. going to slowly die from starving to death.
these tanks are so small its really only fitting for a few shrimp and maybe a clown goby if that.

keep in mind the smaller the saltwater tank, the harder it is to care for.

welcome to the forum.

I just googled green hair algae, apparently it is a bad thing! lol so that should scare me away form this tank right? I mean i was reading you can get rid of it but is it worth trying? Should i just start my own tank? Is there a good sticky on here about starting up a small like 20 gal? or 55 gal tank?

Nubster 01-04-2012 09:33 AM

Opps, you posted while I was typing. Yeah, the 20g would make a decent tank, the 55 even better but of course the cost would go up in setup and upkeep quite a bit.

Nubster 01-04-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toallhisdoom (Post 939834)
I just googled green hair algae, apparently it is a bad thing! lol so that should scare me away form this tank right? I mean i was reading you can get rid of it but is it worth trying? Should i just start my own tank? Is there a good sticky on here about starting up a small like 20 gal? or 55 gal tank?

The aiptasia are bad too and can be difficult to get ride of. They spread rapidly and sting fish causing stress and death. That 6g tank will have you in the hole before you even start.

Toallhisdoom 01-04-2012 09:40 AM

yikes ok! so deff not gonna do that. Any good links 2 a start up thread? With my 35 gal hexagon cichlid tank i have an under tank filter, its meant for up to 75 gal tank. It a fluval i believe. It has 2 filters, then 3 trays for carbon and cubes. Would this be a good filter to use for my 55 gal with salt water? I know it works for salt as that was what the tank originally was before my aunt and uncle gave it to me. I just figure i have another filter that hangs off the back and is a waterfall type i could use for the 35, and take the big heavy duty filter and use it for salt water.