Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Do MTS need a filter? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/do-mts-need-filter-89664/)

PewPewPew 01-04-2012 12:51 AM

Do MTS need a filter?

Hey all,

I've had MTS in my planted betta tanks for a few months now. I would normally have thought MTS would do well in my tanks, considering its planted and I have piggy fish.

My question is, do they need a filtered tank? To be perfectly honest, since I have betta tanks, I dont keep filters in them most of the time. I have a hearty nerite in the tank and she's fared well without one, though this could be a rare case.

My population of MTS is quite small- I have one large adult left and perhaps 3 small, pencil tip/led sized babies. Is my not having the tank filtered causing this?

Also, now* have one tank filtered. I can put filters in all the tanks come month's end to boost populations.

If anyone can help, too- Any tips to help kick up their population? I need them in 3 more tanks and want them bad! ;)

I want to try and put in an algae wafer from time to time when my fish isnt paying attention, would they eat it?

The tank is also usually around 78'F, clean water, etc. My water is fairly soft as well. Presently, due to a darfty house, my tanks stay around 75'F, though dip lower at times.

Thanks!!

1077 01-04-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PewPewPew (Post 939642)
Hey all,

I've had MTS in my planted betta tanks for a few months now. I would normally have thought MTS would do well in my tanks, considering its planted and I have piggy fish.

My question is, do they need a filtered tank? To be perfectly honest, since I have betta tanks, I dont keep filters in them most of the time. I have a hearty nerite in the tank and she's fared well without one, though this could be a rare case.

My population of MTS is quite small- I have one large adult left and perhaps 3 small, pencil tip/led sized babies. Is my not having the tank filtered causing this?

Also, now* have one tank filtered. I can put filters in all the tanks come month's end to boost populations.

If anyone can help, too- Any tips to help kick up their population? I need them in 3 more tanks and want them bad! ;)

I want to try and put in an algae wafer from time to time when my fish isnt paying attention, would they eat it?

The tank is also usually around 78'F, clean water, etc. My water is fairly soft as well. Presently, due to a darfty house, my tanks stay around 75'F, though dip lower at times.

Thanks!!

Malaysian trumpet snails I keep benefit from the calcium in my tapwater which is moderately hard.
Calcium is said to help with shell development.
If the snails shells appear white or grey, as opposed to beige, or the color of coffee after creamer is added,then maybe adding a half of a tums antacid tablet once a week would help.
I have a large planted tank that I was changing water only once a month.Over time, I noticed that the shells of the MTS were turning white, so I went back to once a week water change and as mentioned,,the calcium in my tapwater soon restored their shells which appeared to me to be turning white and brittle.
They used to make a food for crabs, called Crab Quisine(can't find it here anymore ) and the snails loved it.
It contained calcium to help with the shell development of the crabs and or lobster's.
Another member here,( Lupin )suggested the tums tablet's as a source of calcium and I have tried it in tanks with soft water and little to no calcium, and snails were all over it.
You may wish to set up a small bowl or tank with some sand, place the snails in this and give the tums or food mentioned a try if you can find it or,,add some type of buffer to raise the hardness of the water in this tank/bowl.
This way you would not subject the fishes to any sudden changes in water chemistry but I doubt that half a tums tablet once a week would have much of an effect on fishes.
Snails need to eat too but i would be careful of adding too much food to unfiltered tank's/bowls especially if they are small tank's/bowls.
Some sinking pellet's once every couple day's, might be something to consider along with the alage wafer's or spirulina pellet's.
In unfiltered container's, I would stay on top of water changes especially if and when snail population increases.
Hope some of this helps.