Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Odessa barbs and silvertip tetras. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/odessa-barbs-silvertip-tetras-89647/)

juleaze 01-03-2012 09:39 PM

Odessa barbs and silvertip tetras.

I actually started with 5 silvertip tetras, and just added 4 more. They're doing great in their new 45 gallons... well... if spawning means ''doing great''. I just saw a cloud of eggs pop out ! The entire crew was darting all over the place to catch 'em, then checking each and every inch of plants to see if there was some leftovers... It's been up and running since 16 days with lots of plants. Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates levels are undetectable. pH is stable at 7,4.
NOW, these little buggers are funny. The first boss (male) that came with the first batch of 5 was extremely bossy, occupying 3/4 of the tank most of the time. With 4 more, it looks like he can't manage to keep all the tank to himself when there's 8 curious tornados wanting to crash in. Plants and obstacles are very important, as it is clearly the boundaries of each males territory.
I'm willing to get Odessa barbs when the plants get a little bigger. Will start with 6, will add 4 more. I really like them and I presume they can get along fine, according to the fact that they are quick and a little nippy.
Anyone has Odessa barbs with tetras ? Are they really near 3 inches at maturity ? What about your male/female ratio? Are you having troubles with other mid section swimming fish ?
Was also maybe considering some dwarf cichlid (apistogramma or bolivian ram), but not sure about having to deal with a territorial drama in the bottom of the tank if they ever wanna raise a family. What's you opinion on that ? My silvertips are all over the place, from top to bottom...

Byron 01-04-2012 06:02 PM

First off, welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum. Glad to have you with us.

Second, we have fish profiles under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page. Many of the readily-available fish are included, and some of the rarer species too. All those you mention are included. If the common or scientific name is used in a post exactly as it appears in the profile, it will shade, example Odessa Barb or Silvertip Tetra, and you can click on the shaded name to see that profile.

As noted in the profiles, the Odessa is an active fish, so it will suit the Silvertip. Apistogramma and Bolivian Ram are sedate, and can be bothered by too much activity above them. This is even more an issue in smaller tanks (to the fish, a 45g is not large;-)). And the possibility of nippy is another concern. Some substrate fish would be OK though.

Byron.

juleaze 01-04-2012 09:55 PM

Thanks Byron,
I will keep the cichlids for another tank set-up... ;)
I'm pretty sure will go with the Odessa barbs, while checking a little bit more on the Colombian tetra, just to see if they can make me change my mind...? ;)
Concerning the substrate fish : I thought about waiting to see how my two schools will cooperate. I'd like to have some spare room for adding more to the school that will appear to be weaker.

Byron 01-05-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juleaze (Post 940728)
Thanks Byron,
I will keep the cichlids for another tank set-up... ;)
I'm pretty sure will go with the Odessa barbs, while checking a little bit more on the Colombian tetra, just to see if they can make me change my mind...? ;)
Concerning the substrate fish : I thought about waiting to see how my two schools will cooperate. I'd like to have some spare room for adding more to the school that will appear to be weaker.

With shoaling fish, I recommend getting all of them at the same time. First, they settle in better, the more there are (security to them). Second, some species establish a pecking order within the group once they are established, and sometimes intruders are not especially welcomed. Not so much an issue with the Silvertip, but barbs sometimes act this way.