Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Trying to start marine!!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/trying-start-marine-89554/)

brokenrules69 01-02-2012 11:30 PM

Trying to start marine!!!!

ok well im looking to start my first saltwater aquarium i have no experience in salt but i can buy all the supplies
i want to start a fowlr then add corals and stuff making it a mixed reef if everything survives

im looking to start a 29-55 gallon tank
probably 29 for my first
i have no problem buying all the expensive stuff if necessary :BIGcha-ching:
i just want a better understanding of what every thing does and what i need coming from people with experience

my tanks aren't drilled but i can drill them or just buy a drilled tank:BIGcha-ching: if thats needed for a sump

i was gonna add 1.5lbs of live rock per gal

i was thinking about doing a sump maybe with a refuggerium if u think its necessary but i have never done anything like that so idk if a few canister filters or hob filter will do enough
or like a diy sump/canister blend filter that i am making for my cichlid tank

i am planning on having a protein skimmer even tho i really have no clue of its purpose but any one that i have ever talked to said its uber necessary

i have done some prior research and i would buy the ho light or led or what ever i need
but is it ok to use those lights on a folwr tank or will i produce too much algae

i have plenty of extra fw supplies that i can use for this tank if it will work
like regular flurecent lights i also have these lights tho "AQUALIGHT T5 DUAL LAMP FIXTURE 48" the light is a 10,000k and an actinic this wont support a mixed reef tho right:question:
filters
air pumps..... do i need one of these in a sw tank????
i have like atlease 5 of everthing

and how to cycle a sw tank
and when to add live rock and when to add fish if not using fish in cycle

thanks for advice and criticism

Reefing Madness 01-03-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokenrules69 (Post 938257)
ok well im looking to start my first saltwater aquarium i have no experience in salt but i can buy all the supplies
i want to start a fowlr then add corals and stuff making it a mixed reef if everything survives

im looking to start a 29-55 gallon tank
probably 29 for my first
i have no problem buying all the expensive stuff if necessary :BIGcha-ching:
i just want a better understanding of what every thing does and what i need coming from people with experience

my tanks aren't drilled but i can drill them or just buy a drilled tank:BIGcha-ching: if thats needed for a sump

i was gonna add 1.5lbs of live rock per gal

i was thinking about doing a sump maybe with a refuggerium if u think its necessary but i have never done anything like that so idk if a few canister filters or hob filter will do enough
or like a diy sump/canister blend filter that i am making for my cichlid tank

i am planning on having a protein skimmer even tho i really have no clue of its purpose but any one that i have ever talked to said its uber necessary

i have done some prior research and i would buy the ho light or led or what ever i need
but is it ok to use those lights on a folwr tank or will i produce too much algae

i have plenty of extra fw supplies that i can use for this tank if it will work
like regular flurecent lights i also have these lights tho "AQUALIGHT T5 DUAL LAMP FIXTURE 48" the light is a 10,000k and an actinic this wont support a mixed reef tho right:question:
filters
air pumps..... do i need one of these in a sw tank????
i have like atlease 5 of everthing

and how to cycle a sw tank
and when to add live rock and when to add fish if not using fish in cycle

thanks for advice and criticism

1.5lbs of Live Rock is all you need for a filter. The biologicals growing in the rock clean your water. You need powerheads to move your water around. For a fish only tank you should use ones that will push around 10x your water volume, and for a Reef your looking for at least 20x your water volume. the skimmer acts also as a filter, and you want to get one that is rated for twice your water volume.
What Is Protein Skimming, and How Does It Work
The lighting you have for a 29g is prefect for a reef, the T-5 HO, and yes you can run it with a FOWLR also. No filters, no air pumps.
For a beginner I would not advise getting a tank drilled or use a sump. Its alittle more difficult than just reading on those. I have a 240g tank and still dont' use a sump or refugium, they are nice to have, but its not a must.
The Aquarium Cycling Process, and Ways to Cycle a Saltwater Aquarium
Live Rock - About Live Rock - Cycling, Buying, Grades, Curing, aquascaping live rock
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=23591
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...oct-bh100.html
Live Rock and Sand go into your tank from day one.

brokenrules69 01-04-2012 12:57 AM

thanks and do i need a uv sterilizer?

Reefing Madness 01-04-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokenrules69 (Post 939581)
thanks and do i need a uv sterilizer?

Nope

nosaj81 01-04-2012 06:18 PM

use the uncured live rock to cycle the tank use RO water only set the tank up place the rock in the tank with the water
and the die off will cycle the tank only add 1 or 2 fish at a time. while cycling the tank you will go through an ammonia spike followed buy a nitrite spike.

brokenrules69 01-04-2012 08:07 PM

so i can but the live sand and live rock in the tank and then fill it and it will start cycleing by itself i dont need to add an ammonia source
yet?

Reefing Madness 01-04-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokenrules69 (Post 940521)
so i can but the live sand and live rock in the tank and then fill it and it will start cycleing by itself i dont need to add an ammonia source
yet?

Correct.
Live Rock - About Live Rock - Cycling, Buying, Grades, Curing, aquascaping live rock

brokenrules69 01-29-2012 06:16 PM

ok so i made an amazing discovery on Craigslist and was able to get a start on a 55gallon mixed reef system
i received a used 55 gal tank with a 48" current usa SunPod metal halide system with lunar leds and a black wooden pine stand all for FREE!! he even threw in a back up light by current usa a 4x54watt t5ho setup

so my plan is to get around 85+ lbs of live rock and set up a refugirum with a deep sand bed i also need to purchase some power heads.... i think thats about it.....

i will probably do a diy PVC over flow set up if u have tips or experience with that since my tank isnt drilled
and a diy auto top off system

Reefing Madness 01-30-2012 09:24 AM

DIY Overflow Using Only PVC Pipe (DIY OVERFLOW PROJECTS)