Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Fluval canister and "kick back" when restarted

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Boredomb 
#1 ·

I have a fluval 305. About a month ago I did rinse out all the filter baskets. When I started it back up, I got a bunch of garbage that came back into the clean water. I didn't think much about it, but now each time I turn it off to clean the tank, I get that stuff that comes back in to my clean water, upon turning it back on. Does anyone else have this happen? Is there something I can do to cut back on this? Am I doing something wrong?

It's strange. I never noticed it in the beginning, but the whole set up is now 5 months old (approximately) so maybe this is normal???

Gwen

#2 ·
pretty normal, its usually algae and other crud stuck in the pipes that gets loosened by drying a bit or the initial force of the first water coming back through the tubes. You can probably avoid it by any time you restart the filter you put the output into a separate container and discard the first 10 seconds or so of water, just incorporate it into your water change.

#3 ·

Okay. So you're saying, have it go into a bucket or something, turn off and turn on again, after some short amount of time? I tried putting a brine shrimp net in front of output, and that gathered some stuff, but I pulled the net away to soon. I agree, at least 30 seconds. Good to know it's normal.

Thanks

Gwen

#5 ·
Yep its normal, I have eheim 2013 that does the same thing. The only way I have notice to get it to stop is
A. Either clean the entire canister including the hoses or B. Start the canister up with the output in a bucket like Zof mentioned. I don't worry about it some much now as I did in the beginning. It use to drive me NUTS!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.