Mysterious dying? (Tiger Barbs)
I've had three tiger barbs in a 10g for a little over a month now. I realize that the preferred tank size is 30g+ for tiger barbs, but I didn't want to upgrade too fast until I was comfortable with the species.. and then I wake up this morning to find one of them had died. No bite marks or anything, so I figure he wasn't attacked by the other two.. (he wasn't very small either) and the water is kinda murky, despite the filter, I guess because of the presence of dead fish. Now the other two are acting kinda mopey and I'm wondering if I did something wrong. Night before last I did a 50% change and added gravel and an airstone. Their food is flakes and tends to float to the bottom. Any chance my critter mistook some gravel for flakes? Or the airstone didn't agree with them? Up until the change the critters were doing fine, schooling, swimming about, eating. I didn't think it was the water because they'd been fine with it for a while now. The gravel I added is the kind I use in my other tanks, which usually settles just fine.. I don't know. :(
1. Size of tank? 10g.
2. Water parameters
I don't have a test kit, unfortunately.
3. Temperature? 78degrees, heated.
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? Fresh water.
5. How long the aquarium has been set up? About a month now.
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? I had three medium sized tiger barbs, not yet adults but not quite adolescents. Now there are two.
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? Not yet.
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? Fake.
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? Newly added gravel.
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? Ceramic/plastic/whatever petstores use decorations, two of them. One's a cave and the other a shipwreck.
9. a. Filtration? Yes, a two-sponge 20g filter.
b. Heater? Yes.
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? No lighting schedule, the room is usually bright enough that they go along with the daily sun.
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? None directly.
11. a. Water change schedule? Once a week 50% change and gravel vac .
b. Volume of water changed? ^
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap water.
d. Water conditioner used? API Stress coat.
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Once a week.
12. Foods? Tropical flakes and frozen bloodworms.
How often are they fed? Once every three days, as their flakes and worms tend to last a while.
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? The other two are kinda mopey now. Hiding in their decorations separately. I didn't even notice anything wrong until I woke up and saw the other one had died.
b. Appearance of poop? Regular.
c. Appearance of gills? Normal.
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? No.
b. What meds were used? None.
15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.
Well another one died and the last one seems to be suspiciously perky.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2