Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   What to do with babies (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/what-do-babies-8932/)

fear187 10-21-2007 02:20 PM

What to do with babies

I have a 30 gallon tank with some gupplies, and mollies and platy's. If either of them have babies, do most fish stores take them if you want to sell them (or just get rid of them for that matter). ? Just curious.. so I know what to do once they have babies (Don't want to over populate my tank).

Falina 10-21-2007 05:20 PM

Most will take them but will rarely give you anything for them. They also like them to be at least juveniles, not babies, so you'll need to accomodate them to allow them to grow up first. If the tank is not heavily planted there is a good chance they will all get eaten, so you may not have to wrory.

bettababy 10-29-2007 02:34 PM

When I need population control in a livebearer tank, I thin out my decorations and plants just before I suspect fry will arrive. This allows the fish in the tank to find them and eat them. I have found this to be the easiest way to control popultation before it ever becomes a problem. Over time a few will manage to survive anyways, but at least not in overwhelming numbers.

If you're planning to take them to a LFS, as was mentioned, they usually need to be juvies, but also, call ahead and make sure that the store has room for them when they are ready to go. Many stores will take them if you ask them before you bring in the fish, so they can expect them. This is a good time to find out how big they desire them, also. Some stores only accept full grown or near full grown fish, while some will even welcome smaller fry.

Falina 10-30-2007 01:50 PM

I was just thinking there...

There are so many issues with bad quality livebearers (not exclusive to livebearers mind you) because of inbreeding.

If possible take the males to one lfs, and the females to another. This way they will not breed while in the fish store and create inbred fry which would only worsen the problem. Different shops also eliminates folk buying a mix of sexes, even if they are kept in seperate tanks in the store, and them breeding, then the fry being returned to the store to be sold on.

Just a thought.

afrogg 11-23-2007 03:31 PM

well now i am in the same boat ... used to have 3 guppies, then it became 4 ... and then suddenly, as of today there are 35! and possibly more hiding in the plants when I counted.

i actually got to see my guppies having babies today! that was cool to watch.

weirdly, the newborn guppies seem already too big to be eaten, and the adults are showing no interest in eating them. so i have to figure out what to do with them. anyone near north wales, pa? want some free guppies??
:)

Lupin 11-23-2007 05:03 PM

You could try making an advertisement in Aquarium Classifieds section.:)

afrogg 11-24-2007 06:56 AM

I posted an ad on craigslist last night and got 2 replies so far ...cool!

Only seeing 13 babies now :( I guess some of them did get eaten in the night.

tophat665 12-06-2007 09:13 PM

I had a 28 gallon tank full of a mess of inbred feeder guppies that I had been culturing for about 6 months. I put three leopard Ctenopoma in there and there were no guppies after about 10 days.

(They'll be moving to a 110 probably next month or February. Have swordtails and platies breeding in separate tanks to keep them in food.)

guppy892 02-27-2008 04:18 PM

Petsmart will not let you give the babies to them because they dont know where they have been. Charlies Angels sometimes do though.

SilverMolly 02-27-2008 08:11 PM

They are right most Pet Stores will not take babies, they do not know where they have been, and they do not want them contaminating the tank. You can get a divider, you sparate the baby fish from the bigger ones in a little area of you tank and they will be safe from the Bigger fish. If you leave the babies in WITH the bigger fish then eventually the babies will be eaten by them. There's a liquid food you can feed the babies with.