Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Homemade fertilizers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/homemade-fertilizers-89248/)

Boredomb 12-30-2011 03:21 PM

Homemade fertilizers

So I have been looking into this matter for awhile now. I want to get away from dosing/using Flourish comprehensive /root tablets as the cost adds up over time. I know there are cheaper methods such as EI dosing. I have looked into getting and dosing these
1/2 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/8 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
1/8Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Trace being CSM+B.

Now for root tablets I was thinking of using Osmocote Plus in 00 capsules but after hearing another member saying it can leach copper not so sure about it.
Any thoughts on this matter.

Oh this would be for a 55 gallon tank and later on 40b

redchigh 12-30-2011 03:28 PM

Well you can definately use them... I Just make my own out of clay, gelatin, and CSM+B. Works fine for me.

I'm to lazy to actually do EI, so I just use PMDD and dose twice a week. Works fine for me.

All fertilisers have copper, I''d just be worried about using osmocote without some sort of binder (like clay and gelatin)

Only One Haze 12-30-2011 03:38 PM

Are you running CO2? I think the EI is mainly for high light/CO2 setups (could most definitely be wrong here), but Tom Barr has a great write-up on non-CO2 fertilization:

Non CO2 methods - Aquarium Plants

Would still use the ingredients you listed but only once a week or so. I have thought about doing this too.

Boredomb 12-30-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 934594)
Well you can definately use them... I Just make my own out of clay, gelatin, and CSM+B. Works fine for me.

I'm to lazy to actually do EI, so I just use PMDD and dose twice a week. Works fine for me.

All fertilisers have copper, I''d just be worried about using osmocote without some sort of binder (like clay and gelatin)

I do realize most have copper but flourish has a small amount so I don't worry about it. I wasn't aware of how much oscomote has and should be aware/concerned about it.

Now I didn't realize that you could use CSM+B for a base as a root tablet.
This might sound crazy but what kind of clay do you use? I have seen some many different kinds and not sure what is "safe" to use in an aquarium. The only store I am aware of having clay around me is Hobby Lobby. They a big selection of this stuff some being air dry clay, some that has to be baked , some that I am just unsure about altogether. I went looking awhile back and it was just confusing to me lol. If I am going to get CSM+B to dry dose I would interested in know exactly how you make yours.

Boredomb 12-30-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Only One Haze (Post 934606)
Are you running CO2? I think the EI is mainly for high light/CO2 setups (could most definitely be wrong here), but Tom Barr has a great write-up on non-CO2 fertilization:

Non CO2 methods - Aquarium Plants

Would still use the ingredients you listed but only once a week or so. I have thought about doing this too.

No but I have seen where ppl use it on any kind if setup.
My 40b will be a somewhat high tech. Just need to save some money for the lights and Co2

Only One Haze 12-30-2011 03:49 PM

Cool, sounds good. Told ya I wasnt positive about the EI dosing, haha. I think I may go that route once I run out of my Flourish Comprehensive. Can get the CSM+B, KNO3, and KH2PO4 for about $20 or so and it would last a lot longer.

redchigh 12-30-2011 03:57 PM

I dig it up out of my yard ;) I've also used cat litter (the super super cheap kind)

The cheapest kiln-fire clay would be best... Preferably in red. If it comes in tons of colors, don't buy that brand at all. All-natural clay should be white (grayish) or red (dark red)

If you notice somethwere in your yard that tends to collect water, just dig under it and you should find clay.

I start with a baseball size amount of clay. Let it air dry completely, and crumble it as fine as possible. (helps add water to a thin paste, spread out, and then dry sometimes)

Then add 1 tablespoon CSM+B, 3 packs of plain gelatin, and 1/4 cup slow-release fertiliser pellets (I use osmocote, but osmocote plus should be fine.)

Add hot water, and mix by hand until an extremely thick but moldable consistancy. The less water, the better, but make sure the water is evenly distributed.

Keep them in the refrigerator until you need them. If I was using sterile clay, I'd probably add a little soil to the mix too.

Boredomb 12-30-2011 04:08 PM

I have a yard full of clay but it is not safe to use as far as I am concerned. Reason being is the people I bought the house from used that part as a driveway (no pavement or gravel there just hard clay) and I know they worked on cars there as well. Would rather not risk it and will just buy some.

Thanks for explaining how you make your root tablets. One thing, I know I can get the nutrients online but any clue as if any store/places carry these? Just wondering if I could find these locally.

Boredomb 12-30-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 934628)
If I was using sterile clay, I'd probably add a little soil to the mix too.

I have a dirt substrate would you still recommend adding dirt to the clay?

redchigh 12-30-2011 04:29 PM

I would dig somewhere else, definately... but maybe there's somewhere further away like a far corner of your yard? Or some wild woodlands?

Not sure what I would reccomend... I really add the soil just to reintroduce healthy soil bacteria.. Especially if you use the Organic Choice sterile soil...