Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Beginner needs help selecting fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/beginner-needs-help-selecting-fish-89085/)

muse435 12-28-2011 09:29 PM

Beginner needs help selecting fish

I am upgrading from a 10g tank to a 37g tank. I have two glofish and a zebra danio. after the new tank is setup and I'm ready to add additional fish. I like to have a few different species.

What i was thinking some combination the types i have and:
Black Kuhli Loach
Velvet Wag Swordtail
Ghost Shrimp
Upside Down Catfish
Scissortail Rasbora

I am still looking about care and this is still some time out, but if anyone has some thoughts I'm all ears.

angella 12-28-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muse435 (Post 932683)
I am upgrading from a 10g tank to a 37g tank. I have two glofish and a zebra danio. after the new tank is setup and I'm ready to add additional fish. I like to have a few different species.

Black Kuhli Loach
Velvet Wag Swordtail
Ghost Shrimp
Upside Down Catfish
Scissortail Rasbora

I am still looking about care and this is still some time out, but if anyone has some thoughts I'm all ears.

I'm in no way an expert but I'm pretty sure the zebra danios need schools, so you might want to add 5 or so more. And also your goldfish might cause a problem, I don't know how big they are but they'll eat anything they can fit in their mouth so be carefule.

Good luck!

muse435 12-28-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angella (Post 932689)
I'm in no way an expert but I'm pretty sure the zebra danios need schools, so you might want to add 5 or so more. And also your goldfish might cause a problem, I don't know how big they are but they'll eat anything they can fit in their mouth so be carefule.

Good luck!

i was told that the zebra danios and glofish (not goldfish) will school together and that three was enough, though i was planning on adding a couple more when my new tank is set up.

muse435 12-28-2011 09:40 PM

I have soft water so I guess Velvet Wag Swordtail are out.

Quantum 12-28-2011 09:48 PM

Some of the fish listed need different water parameters and shouldn't be mixed as one or the other will be in the wrong conditions.

Also, the scissortails get pretty big (six inches) and need at least a four foot tank.

Jayy 12-28-2011 09:49 PM

The Zebra danio, does need to be kept in schools of 6 or more, glofish, are just a colored form, soo adding more of either will work. I wouldn't keep the Scissortail rasbora or Upside Down catfish, in a your tank, due to the fact they are schooling fish and grow large. Catfish= 4in rasbora=6in

j dizzel 12-28-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muse435 (Post 932683)

Black Kuhli Loach
Velvet Wag Swordtail
Ghost Shrimp
Upside Down Catfish
Scissortail Rasbora

Definitly no expert, just a regular Joe. Glo fish are danios and will school, at least mine do. Be careful of over stocking. Your tank will fill up fast. Research your choices to provide the best quality of life for both you and your fish. Click on the tropical fish profiles at the top of the page to start. Their is a ton of info on the internet and remember less is more.

angella 12-28-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muse435 (Post 932695)
i was told that the zebra danios and glofish (not goldfish) will school together and that three was enough, though i was planning on adding a couple more when my new tank is set up.

Sorry, misread haha xD

muse435 12-28-2011 10:41 PM

it definitely sounds like i should add a few more zebra danios. any other suggestions? there are soo many to choose from that a little help with focusing my research would be a big help. I do not want to over stock and/or get fish that will not be happy with each other or in my tank.

Jayy 12-28-2011 10:53 PM

Knowing your water parameters will help.