Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Opinions? Would this be overstocked? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/opinions-would-overstocked-88988/)

diablo13 12-27-2011 09:30 PM

Opinions? Would this be overstocked?

Hello all, I'm setting up a new 29 gallon, I hope to set it up by the end of the month, first inhabitants by march. Anyway, I was on Aqadvisor( I know, not the best source, but it's a good guideline) and apparently if I get a MarineLand Emperor 280, 280 GPH, I can have 7 Neon Tetras, 7 Rummynose Tetras, 3 Peacock Gudgeons, and 8-9 Betta Splendens females. This will, of course, be well planted, I'm thinking Crypts and other low-light plants(any suggestions?) and it seems that itll be a little crowded, but not too bad. The tetras make a loose school and are all over, the Gudgeons are Bottom-Middle, and the Bettas are top-middle. The females are going to nip eachother anyway, and I'm pretty sure the Tetras are way faster than bettas. And Im going to make sure the Gudgeons have multiple hiding spots. So, in your opinions, would this be overstocking? Thanks for reading!
Posted via Mobile Device

Fishguy2727 12-28-2011 08:08 AM

No one can discuss stocking without discussing water changes and water quality.

What is your water change schedule?
What is the nitrate concentration?

In general if you can keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm you are not chemically overstocked. Then it is just a matter of having enough physical space for the fish to not be stressed.

diablo13 12-28-2011 09:14 AM

I don't have this tank yet. Well, I have the tank, but it's sitting in my basement, so i can't tell the nitrate concentraition. I'm going to do the same WC schedule as my other 29, 25-30% weekly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fishguy2727 12-28-2011 10:21 AM

That should be enough. If your nitrate concentration goes over 20ppm you will have to do larger water changes, but still do them weekly.

diablo13 12-28-2011 10:53 AM

It will be well planted, so here's to hoping the plants will absorb lots. I think they're all relatively low waste fish, but there will be allot.....
Posted via Mobile Device

Fishguy2727 12-28-2011 11:05 AM

Remember that although we always focus on nitrate there are many other things that build up in an aquarium. These include growth inhibiting hormones, dissolved organic compounds, etc. We only have a test kit for the nitrate which usually correlates well with all these other things, but live plants can remove the nitrate and not the other things, so the water quality will seem better than it actually is, so keep up the water changes either way.

bigfish93 12-30-2011 12:48 AM

Remember that a bigger filter does not mean more fish. If you get a filter that is to large for the tank, then the out flow will create a very strong current and stress out fish such as tetras that prefer calm water. The stocking you mentioned sounds overstocked to me. A 29 gallon tank is a tall tank which means it has more "wasted space" for lack of a better term. For example, a 20 gallon long tank could be stocked with more fish than a 20 gallon tall tank because it is 6 inches longer. Fish swim from side to side, not up and down. With tall tanks, you want to consider the 3 levels of your tank. The top, middle, and bottom. Pick 2-3 species of fish to fill all the levels of your tank (one species per level). You can use the fish profiles to find out what area of the tank each fish prefers.